• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Face Plate Printing and Silk Screening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello! I was wondering where you guys get professional looking face plates printed. I've got a few amps built on 17"X10"X3" and 17"X14"X3" enclosures, and decals and Dymo labelers just don't cut it anymore. Any ideas?

Attachments

• goldelf1.jpg
    goldelf1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,650
My opinion:

For your style of amp, I'd make a face plate that is held in place by the controls. The "markings" would go on the faceplate.

I currently prefer engraving for such labels - but I got an engraver. You may or may not be able to schmooze a person or company that has an engraver, or who does those clip-on name tags as a side-biz to do up ur panel.

You can also find the manual style (which is still good) engraving machines on eBay for not too much $$, assuming you will need this sort of thing in the future...

Otherwise silk-screening is king. That also requires some investment in set up and materials...

_-_-bear

Go to:

http://www.horizonsisg.com/products/home.asp

Check out the AlumaJet and IDmark products.

A friend built an analog music synthesizer (like an old Moog modular) using IDmark to cover his front panels. He used a CAD program to lay out the panels, print them on to transparencies, and expose the IDmark. They look very good. I got a package of the stuff, but have not tried it yet.

I use BNP laser as a source for faceplates. They make up some really nice plexi style faceplates for a lot of the guitar amp guys.

BNP laser

Jeanne<--- @ BNP laser really knows her stuff.
The material she uses is a plexiglass type material that is backfilled in many popular colors. She uses a laser to remove the colored backfill, Then re-coats the lettering area. These have a really nice 3D look when complete, Especially the gloss material.

The lettering can never rub off because its on the inside next to the chassis and the outter surface is very clean and durable.

I generally order the satin because on guitar amps they always seem to show lots of finger prints.

She charges by the sq inch, No extra charge for holes, and can even do fancy line art logo's on the panel.

I opted for the less is more look black satin W/white letters. This is also a 17 X 10 X 3 Chassis
One of my Faceplates From BNP Laser

Edit, here is a picture of the art capabilities they have @ BNP on a guitar faceplate.

Backlite logo

Trout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.