Surge Protection Component - Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have opened up an expensive mains surge protection device to see what was inside. I was expecting to see VDR , GAS and transient diodes.
But no! this was inside (see pic) and the surface has been filed off.

It looks like a ceramic transient device but I cant be sure, ive trawled the internet and cant find anything like it.
Its across L-N and no other components are on the pcb.

So any help on what it actually is and where I can get some from would be appreciated .

Brent
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I can see it! Looks like a toffee! lmao

Ok, here it is cropped and reposted.

Attachments

• mega.jpg
    mega.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 350
powerbecker said:

Brent,
why do You not try to measure "something" or dismantle this toffee carefully? Can You spot the "circuit"?
Regards
Heinz!

Electrically it measures open circuit both ways. And on a capacitance test measures roughly 1nF.

All surge devices measure open circuit and the go short or low ohm when a voltage is exeeded.

The component is fully encapsulated and I don't fancy trying to break it as a new one is £130

Brent

rowemeister said:

Electrically it measures open circuit both ways. And on a capacitance test measures roughly 1nF.

All surge devices measure open circuit and the go short or low ohm when a voltage is exeeded.

The component is fully encapsulated and I don't fancy trying to break it as a new one is £130

Brent

This info indicates that´s simply a MO varistor!

AndrewT said:
I suspect the reason for hiding the contents is the low component value to retail cost ratio.

Try opening it up and you will probably find you can rebuild it and many more copies for much less than the retail cost.

I have scratched away at the component and I dont think I can get into it, it appears to be made of a ferrit material.

Brent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.