• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sources in the Philippines / Manila

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hope someone local can help me out...

I'm looking for a company in Manila that makes resonable good transformers.

1) From what I heard, there is no good source for OPT, but I can imagine that there are some who can make power transformers. Any sugestions on sources?

2) If there is someone who catually can make OPT, I would be very happy. I'm primary looking for guitarr OPT. Suggestions most welcome.

3) Are there any sources for tube hardware, i.e. tube sockets, solder support etc?

4) Tubes? I've found a few stores selling "guitarr amp tubes", but it would be nice to find more sources, perhaps with NOS tubes.

For the record: I've been building custom studio gear and custom amplifiers in Sweden for many years, and are thinking of putting up a "limited factory" to supply the European market with tube based gear.

/Mike

- Tubes will live longer than Rock n' Roll

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Shipping from Korea and China should not be a big issue in Manila.
I'd look at Belton (Korea) for sockets, and reverb tanks.

Tubes purchased in bulk from the usual suspects.

ASL and many others oem transformers in HK and on the mainland.

Building guitar output transformers is an art, by the time a local vendor figures out how to build one with the right characteristics you would have been better off buying off the shelf or working with a vendor that already knows how to make output transformers.

Hifi transformer vendors generally can make good guitar opts with a little practice, but need to experiment with designing transformers with cheaper core materials, lower primary inductance, higher leakage inductance, primary and secondary dcr in order to get the saturation characteristics and tone sought for good guitar opts. Sometimes designing for deliberate winding resonances is useful as well. Given the abuse likely winding/interwinding insulation generally should be upgraded.

Oddly enough it is pretty funny that early Fender amps just used really cheap opts and got the right sound... more or less by accident. (And set the standard by which many others are judged.)

As for material selection in OPT and overall design in the early years... Yes, most of what we today appreciate as "the right guitar sound" is due to past cost savings and, i think, in much, lack of resources. The early Marshalls (like the JTM's from the 60) are mostly "custom designs", where they through in pretty much anything that was laying around on the shelfs. What happened then has influenced a couple of generations. If we predict the future on historic events - God help us :)

When it comes to importing stuff to the Philippines... well I could write a few pages on the subject, but let me just say that this is the second most corrupt country in Asia. If I could find a local source, it would a lot easier. Unfortunately your right again, by the time they got it right I'll be far to old.

Still, I'm an optimist, hoping to find some guys who can help me out... Anyone?

I have ordered Parts from Angela.com on several occasions and have no isses with delivery (if that's where your corruption thing comes off) right into my office.

My friend always order from Brian Cherry of DIYHiFi Supply and have no issues with shipping too.

I do however have an issue with TNT Express which is used by Eichmann Technologies in Australia. I despise TNT...

There are a couple of winders here, but your problem will be the source of the cores. My winder uses surplus cores from the U.S. and for PSU and chokes, I don't complain. I've had him make a couple of OPTs for me too.

Anyway, get in touch with Edrel Sison at the forum previously mentioned. He has a facility that does work as a sub-contractor for Emerson. I'm using his PP OPT prototypes right now and they're great, but probably not cheap as you want it to be. BTW, he's using what he called Z-core :confused:

arnoldc said:
My winder uses surplus cores from the U.S. and for PSU and chokes, I don't complain. I've had him make a couple of OPTs for me too.

Anyway, get in touch with Edrel Sison at the forum previously mentioned. He has a facility that does work as a sub-contractor for Emerson. I'm using his PP OPT prototypes right now and they're great, but probably not cheap as you want it to be. BTW, he's using what he called Z-core :confused:

is Edrel Sison the winder you mentioned in the 1st quoted paragraph? if not care to email me the contact no?

also what is edrel sison's username on the other forum?

thank you.

arnoldc said:
I have ordered Parts from Angela.com on several occasions and have no isses with delivery (if that's wheren your corruption thing comes off) right into my office.

My friend always order from Brian Cherry of DIYHiFi Supply and have no issues with shipping too.

I was reffering to the last container i brought in from Europe. The custom and custom brokers is not really working by the book... Anyway, I think you gave me a good advice here: use DHL and similar. Btw, can you recomend some particular delivery company?

arnoldc said:
There are a couple of winders here, but your problem will be the source of the cores. My winder uses surplus cores from the U.S. and for PSU and chokes, I don't complain. I've had him make a couple of OPTs for me too.

Would you mind sharing your contacts? If they already have some experience, it would be of great help!

arnoldc said:

Is this a local source?

Many thanks fo your advice!

edrel sison is not the same contact in the first paragraph... fire me an email.

edrel sison is edrel sison in the other forum :D yes, he's a local source.

tony in this forum also winds transformers.

there are also winders in raon ;)

re: delivery company, we're happy with DHL and FedEx

ps.

i'm sorry, i'm responding to two different posts :smash:

my friend sells parts like Tamura, Lundalh, ALPS, DACT, etc.

just fire me an email and i'll give you contact information.

djQUAN said:
are there any other stores in raon you might want me to have a look? I'm looking for good sources of big heatsinks, some tubes and other hard to find stuff. :)

usually, I find them in sidewalk vendors getting a lot of parts some are new for cheap.

Oh yes, I'm looking for tube sockets, i.e. for 12AX7 etc, EL34 etc EL41 etc, as well as tubes. Do they sell that stuff at the sidewalk as well? Perhaps we should meet up and make a raid?

SwedishWings said:

Oh yes, I'm looking for tube sockets, i.e. for 12AX7 etc, EL34 etc EL41 etc, as well as tubes. Do they sell that stuff at the sidewalk as well? Perhaps we should meet up and make a raid?

I have actually built a tube preamp using two 12AU7's and I asked the sidewalk vendor (suki ako! :) ) to look for tube sockets and got me a pair. the power trafo is custom wound. I always raid him when he has lots of film caps so I already have a box full of different film and MKT caps at home. I also get my ferrite toroids for SMPS's from him. I sometimes get power fets for about Php10 each. :D

I'm not sure yet but I'm planning to go there tomorrow morning.

audiomachines said:
well I could write a few pages on the subject, but let me just say that this is the second most corrupt country in Asia.

my poor country pti b nman sa international na forum:bawling: khit na ganan yan mahal ko pa rin yan, I won't shame my motherland:whazzat:

My deepest apology for my rude comment :xeye:

What i have to say, is that i live here because of one simple reason: i love the Philippines! Among the most kind and fun people in Asia.

Sweden on the other hand, have very litle corruption, everything works, but the people must be among the most boring on the planet...

Good bless the Philippines :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.