omnidirectional test (Duevel on the cheap)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've always wanted to hear some of Duevel's speakers - check out their omnidirectional designs... which have also won a lot of praise.

Their cheapest model The Planets got me wondering.

How hard would it be to flip over a speaker and hang a crystal ball over it? More to the point, how good/bad would it sound? I've only got open baffles here, but if someone wants to give this a shot or there's more info on it, I'd be interested.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Those things are cool! Thanks for the link. Should sound pretty wild. Might be fun to try.
I like the top horn on the bigger models.

I've got pair of 2 ways gathering dust. If only I could find some metal orbs like those. Or come up with a cone shape like on the ther models. Hmmm....

could probably use a cheap paperweight over the tweeter.... there seem to be some 4-5 inch "crystal" balls on ebay decently cheap... still was hoping for a little larger/cheaper.

If you have a lathe it wouldn't be too hard to simulate the kind of "hat" reflector on some of their more expensive stuff. How fine tuned it would have to be, don't know.

You should find a lot of hits when searching for "omnidirectional " in this forum.

Regarding the ball as reflector: Serious omni designs seem to prefer cones as reflectors, because they give a better radiation pattern.
Easiest way to give it a try would be to look for fullrange drivers with a rising frequency response (low qts). They could work without equalisation. I know of good results with the Ciare HX 132/160.

Rudolf

How about using a nice fullrange driver that can be phaseplug mounted but build a plug that is basically a dowel holding up the sphere or cone? Local craft stores I know have at least baseball sized spheres that have a small flattened area on them, so they would mount to a square cut dowels end with no trouble. Then a pair of counter sunk screws in the other end of the dowel to magnetically connect with the pole piece and you're set to try it out, maybe a $3-4 mod to any cheapy driver you might want (bicone "replacement" car drivers, Pio B20, etc).

Kensai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.