• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Look for high-voltage regulator projects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Giaime,
You have a bad link there!

I can't remember everything! ;) That's why you can post too! :D

I am sure that will help if you can get the link working.

Hi Mrpong, Giaime is kindly directing you to an on-line copy of the Radiotron Designers Handbook. An excellent reference. I have a copy of the actual book and can recommend it. Another top notch book would be "Valve Amplifiers" by Morgan Jones. More up to date. If you are interested in tube electronics at all, get both of these at the very least, I'm very glad these are in my library.

-Chris

(Now it works Giaime! ;) )

Chris, the link was on my Mosfet regulator, not for the RDH4. However, here's the schematic I was linking:

Attachments

• hivoltsupply.gif
    hivoltsupply.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 5,235
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Giaime,
I know. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

You have a link to RDH4 in everything you post. ;) Did you click on your link? I fixed it and it does link to the same as your attachment. I need to articulate my meaning more clearly. I think in shorthand.

-Chris

Giaime said:
Alex, yes that's what I use to regulate B+ in my preamp. See details here: http://www.giaime.altervista.org/mypreamp.html
[/B]

I Really like the look of that Phono Stage simple, only 1 tube (per channel), and I don't think I have ever heard/read one bad thing about the ECC88 so I have been looking to use them in a project. do you sell PCBS for the regulator, the pre-amp or both? or do you have an express PCB (or similar) file that I can use to make a board?

Thank you everyone !!! These projects are interesting indeed!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I may focus on the one using IRF840 as the MJE3439 is quite rare in Thailand.

However, here are questions :
(1) We can adjust the regulated volage by changing or choosing appropriate zener diodes Right? For example, using two 130V zener to regulate 260V?
(2) What is the adjustable range of voltage? For example, is it possible to regulate at 330V ?
(3) How many amperes can both circuits supply?

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can answer for what regards my circuit. Output voltage changes by changing the value of R7: note that you cannot put a trimmer (it will burn), you have to try different 2W resistors.

Current here isn't a problem, over 200-300mA probably can be supplyed, however the mosfet dissipation should be reasonable. Note that the less voltage is dropped by the regulator, the more current you can source from it. Don't drop less than 15-20V for regulation purposes.

Mrpong said:
Thank you everyone !!! These projects are interesting indeed!
I may focus on the one using IRF840 as the MJE3439 is quite rare in Thailand.

You can use a high voltage NPN like a BU205, BU208, MJE340 etc.

Note that the world of HV is changing for the better. More companies are now regulating the primary side of the "flea power" for switching converters. (i.e. the supervisory circuitry for SMPS) Thus Supertex came up with the LR8N3 which is a TO-92 device that will do up to 450V. I had some prototypes made up for this design -- it can be made quieter by putting a bypass capacitor across R2. Supertex is distributed by Mouser in the U.S. or I have some spares if you'll pay the shipping.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.