my 1st ever D-amp, WORKING!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello all,

Got my 1st D-amp... UcD way!! :)

mosfets used are only IRFZ44(hi) and IRFZ48(lo)... i know, but it works... the only mosfets I have in my junk... others were too low... in volts/amps.. others where logic level.... power supply used: +18/-18 @ 750mA.... i know its not much... but its for testing porpuses only... wish I had done these before i -KILLED- my 4 IRF540s... :( I used +30/-30 @ 8A..... man!! what a mosfet killer... there was obviously something wrong with the circuit.... thats why ive redone the PCB board using kartinos layout..... schematic is a mix of kartino and classd4sure.. :) added some parts in the board too(decoupling caps).... still need to make a bigger heatsink though.. BUT IT WORKS!!! :)

right now, im still waiting for the IRF540 to arrive, i have ordered locally.. they ran out of stock.... then will I connect the 8A supply..

got a few question though:

#1> is it normal for the Lo Side MOSFET to HEAT UP 1st???

#2> wont it do damage to speaker on power up/shut down ??

bellow is an image of my D-amp.... heatsink SMALL.. for testing porpuses only... :) i cant run it for more than a minute... MOSFETS get hot!!! :)

BUT... it does sound great... clear!!! no distortions... I think i had just the right resistor value for the daedtime.... Im guessing this amp is outputing 10Wrms?? i dunno.... :)

anyway, im happy with the results.. i should be.. after killing original I.R. IRF540.....

:smash: :smash: :smash: :hot:

info/slight prob

hello and good day,

oooppppsssss!!! i spoke too soon... I tested the amp at 11pm... so I

kept it at low volume.. now its 10am...i made a bigger heatsink for the

mosfets... now I am running it at 70% of its full power(still at +18/-18

@750mA) ... yup MOSFET gets hot... and the power supply too!! I use a small fan to keep it

cool.... tried playing it with some bass tracks .. THERE a hear a small

distortion... sounds like "kkkkrtttt" looks/feels like busted speaker..... I

think its in the 40Hz-60/Hz range.... higher frequency IS NO PROB....

To chris and kartino,

since you have explored much...

what could be the cause of this??? deadtime setting?? (still IRFZ44/48

as MOSFETS).....output filters??? btw, my power supply is 60Hz..

NOT 120Hz(fullwave).. its just halfwave... but filtercap is large....

6800uF + (1000uF+1000uF+180uF onboard)... certainly this could

NOT be the problem right???

help me out....

-raff

Hi,

I'd appreciate you linking to the thread which my schematic was posted to rather than uploading it from photobucket.

If you read the threads you got those from and I trust you have, you'll see part selection is very important in obtaining best performance, and I'd given a few good hints as to what matters where, so I hope you kept with that in your selection.

You lose me with your first post. "There was obviously some problem with the circuit, so I redid it with Kartino's layout".

What was wrong with the circuit is that you first used 30V 8amps as your first test without optimising the values for your given components. Changing the layout alone will do nothing for this, although a decent layout is obviously equally important, and I'm not sure this is it. The values you see on my circuit were what worked best with simulation, and not intended to be "real world" values, so they'd require changing in some places, I think I mentioned all this in my original thread though.

Now you're using lower voltage and have apparently limited the current to less than an amp (how you did this we don't know).. I'd say it is the lower voltage that's saving you though, given your selection of caps high currents will still flow through the outputs if you raise the voltage level.

At this voltage level you should be able to obtain mosfets that run perfectly cool and without the use of a fan. This of course has to do with component selection, and not just the mosfets, but the entire circuit really.

There are certain things in Kartino's circuit I can't vouch for, which could be causing your problems, as well as the layout of the PCB.

Without seeing your exact circuit with component selection it would be pointless to comment further on where your slight distortion is comming from, could be anything, I'd start with a half decent supply though, half wave?? noooo.

At least measure your DC offset, and start adopting some troubleshooting procedure that will allow you to make sense of things as opposed to changing your layout immediatly after the first problem.

If you want to perfect this at those voltage levels, you're simply going to have to become familiar with optimizing it based on the components you chose, and that also includes the possibility of re-evaluating your choice of components. It is more important to use components that are right for the job over what is more easily available.

That's really all I can help you with, it took me nearly two years to get as far as you've come with it in less than a month, but being given that doesn't really allow you to just build it and go, you'll have to become familiar with it enough to be able to tweak and optimize it based on your design choices.

. So you're in for a bit of work and learning yet, and I know it's worth it, you probably have found this out yourself already, despite the zzzzrrrtttt sound, I bet it is uniquely pleasing in a kind of high end way?

The IRFZ48 you are using for lower side is almost 5 time slower than the IRFZ44 you are using for the high side. It will therefore see a higher loss than the high side.

What switching freq are you running at?

If the MOSFETs are heating up without load, I'm not so sure you got the timing spot on. (If your PSU heats up, I think you have some shoot throught)

You should use the same mos for upper and lower, as a start. Then adjust the deadtime (better starting with too much delay as a start until everything else works).

Check all waveforms on a scope.

Have you checked that you don't have any DC on the output?

Does the filter heat up as well?

hello again,

I changed almost all passive parts...... as per chris' schematic....

some active parts too.... some parts not available in our area... ( pls

see attached scheme)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/beamrx5/l8st_cheme.gif

>> MOSFET, HOT!!
>> power suppy, HOT too!! +18V/-18V @750mA
>> filter coil: barely warm
>> TIP31C : warm (no heatsink)

IS this why its STILL hot because I have still not changed the

MOSFET? im currently playing with IRFZ44(hi) IRFZ46(Lo).... IRF540

still coming... soon...maybe this wednesday parts will arrive...

HOW do I prevent shoot through? (heating of power supply)

HOW to prevent heating?? re change value of 250ohms? 470ohms?? is this because of deadtime?

Is the input section...ok to use?( i removed the OP amp)

how do I increase amp gain?? changing the feedback resistor, right??

(7.2K).. kartino tippd me on this... too much gain results in (sort of) flat

top/bottom signal output... <clipped output signal>... i simulated it too

help! i dont want it to heat up!!

now the amp

the power supply.... +18V/-18V @ 750mA

PWR_SPLY.gif

the amp.... :xeye:
operating WITH a FAN.... it heats UP!

LATEST.gif

whew :dodgy: :dodgy: :whazzat: :dodgy: :dodgy:

-raff

update! update!!

hello again,

YES!!! amp dont HEAT up!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

i -JUST- changed 250 deadtime to (currently experimenting) 330... and.. VIOLA!!! NO HEAT!! I can EVEN remove heatsink of mosfet.... heatsink (is i think) +2deg C ABOVE room temp... same with power supply.. no heating.. I mean +2 or +3 above room temp...

WOW! this deadtime really DOES matter!!:xeye: :xeye: :angel:

anyways, AMP is ok now.. im currently in the "burn in" hehehe playing it full power with NO FAN!... but amp output is not that much powerfull.. anyways, got it all figured out.. might as well go back to my 2nd -done- D-amp... fewer parts like the HYPEX orig scheme.... got it all working in the SIM already....

BANG!!:D gotcha UcD.. :smash: :smash: :smash:

lets ROCK!!! :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

-raff

Uhhhh huh..... uh huh...

Watch what happens now when you go and up the voltage to +-30Vdc... :)

Also watch what happens when you put your new mosfets on... :)

We'll see who's got who.

At least you've picked up a few things on how to tweak it, but do not neglect the rest, the balance resistor in the current mirror is a good way to tune the overal driver response/and deadtime, along with the value of the turn on bias resistor and series gate resistor.

You lucked out that this worked so easily for you, but things are going to change, so enjoy this for now:)

It is alright to run it without the input stage, but there are good reasons to have it, it's a matter of complication I suppose.

Do you have a scope to work on this with? It would make life easy.

You have to watch the values of the gate drivers as it can easily load down the driver voltage supply.

You cannot substitute the schotty baker clamps with a single diode, it won't work properly. I've gotten around that problem of not having shottky's by using a dual diode version which I've posted many times as well, so you can dig that up and it should help you further.

Keep us posted, how is it sounding now anyway?

Chris

If the coil is heating up without signal/load, it is because of core losses.
The wire seems more than ok for a 10W amp, don't think it is due to copper loss.

When you switch to the 30 V DC PSU, does it get even a lot hotter? ... it will if it is due to core loss.

Go for a Micrometals material 2 core.
You can get them from Parts and Kits

I use T130-2 for my amp and it significantly reduced both heat and distortion. (used some SMPS core I just had in the drawer)

On Micrometals homepage you'll find a program to calculate number of windings, loss etc.

You should get hold of a scope to check all signals, frequencies etc. ..... though simulating is the way to go for sure, you still need to check everything after assembly, as simulation and calculation is one, reality something else :)

hello all :)

Chris,

well Im lucky for now.. i guess :smash: but Im taking =notes= :) learning along the way....

Im NOT afraid supplying it with another +48/-48V :) i did that before.. remember... killed 4 mosfets.. it WAS a PCB error.. my 1st PCB done.. traces where so slim.... some might have opened up when a solder blob accidentally shorted the underside.... so, NOT AFRAID :) got them FUSES :)

im just trying figuring out things...im no circuit designer.. so might as well rely on my intuition..

>>>btw, series gate resistor (this is the 10R) right??
>>>and turn on bias resistor (is this the resistor in series with the diode, Hi side supply for mosfet drive)??? or the deadtime resistor??
>>>balance resistor in current mirror (resistors in the emitter legs 50R ??)

>>>Input stage, i asked you before if TL072 can be used

>>> about values for gate drivers, 470R,330R.. are they ok at higher voltages? I mean the mosfet drivers are at 12V only.. maybe they are sufficient??
====== need your reply on this/pls point w/c part/s=====
regarding the baker clamp diodes, i have some of those schemes with dual diode.. ill go look for them..

scope?? sorry I got none.. im just a poor hobbyiest..

how does it sound??? :smash: :smash:
it sounds GOOOOOOOOOODD!! :smash: no distortion .... clear/clean... :D ;)

Kartino,

many smash?? cuz Im happy.. for now? hahahahha :D

sound at low volume.. its LOW :) but clean/clear.. no distortions of any kind... I use volume FROM CD headphone out.. still got no volume FOR the amp.. but im planning to build an OP -amp buffer/gain for the input....

YUP... coil heats UP.. even at supply of only +18/-18V @750mA....core was from PC PS... yellow in color.. wound about 21T in the core..im guessing its about 25uH??

Baldin,

NO coil do NOT heat up with no signal input... only during playing music.... :)

GUYS!! is this normal for the coil to HEAT UP this much??

:hot: :hot:

anyways, back to D-amp... gonna UPPER the amp gain.... ill try messing with the feedback loop...

bye for now....:smash: NOW I love D-amp!! so much power ..sucks the supply up to deliver it ALL to the speaker!! hehe

wish me luck(of exploding fuses):cannotbe:

-raff

No the coil should not be hot.
How do you know it should be around 25uH ..... it could be any value if you don't know the core material:confused:

(to correct my own post before ..... the SMPS cores I had in the drawer was the ones I used before, which heated up and added a lot of 3. harmonic distortion. ....... what I'm trying to say is, DON'T just use a core from an old SMPS ..... it is almost for sure not suitable for this use ...... SMPS (normally) does not run at the high switching frequencies we want for a class-d amp!)

... and get a scope;)

another update

Man!! this Amps do pack a punch!! whew....

I have upped the GAIN.... used 47K.... i tried 50K and 68K... in SIM.. it "sqaures out" the output.. so better at 47K.. ill try 33K tommorow... AMP is @ max volume even at 1/4 volume from CD player headphone output...:smash: cant wait for the IRF540 to arrive... -= AND MAN!! IS IT POWERFULL even at supply of ONLY +18/-18 750mA=- trust me!!

@Baldin,

ok I wont use them.... uhhhmmmm can a use ferrite bar (like in AM antenna?? as core? heheehhe

but I got a =gapped= ferrite E-E core. but is kinda small though.. if I use this, how many turns?? should it be tighlty wound? or spaced out??

I could attach pic of said core , if you want.. or it is attached to a thread named "litz wire ....... " .. :)

@Chris,

still waiting for your replies :)

@Kartino,

Bass? i dunno... it got no tone control from CD headphone out...maybe a bit of it.. hehe but one things for sure, no distortion... to bad I got no scope.. :(

regards,
raff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.