• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Model 91 schematic?

Does anyone know where online I can find a schematic of the Western Electric "model 91" amp? I can't seem to locate one.

I hear it described as a classic. The single pentode voltage amp/driver stage is interesting. Any thoughts on a #32 pentode driving a #45? I have two laying around.
I can't decide whether to do that, or just use a 6F8-G direct-coupled.:scratch2:

Joel

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
WE 91

Hi,

I've got the circuit diagram of the WE91B and also a french adapation in some books.
Everything is in French though.

The B uses an input xformer,a 310A penthode (you won't need this stage) followed by another 310A driving a WE300B loaded by a WE171A OPT.

Joel,if you need a scan of it I can have it done at the shop close by.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SURE.

Hi Brett,

Long Time no see.

Sure,in fact I may have the GA articles as well and if you could post the scans here for me that I'll mail you I'd be grateful.

See,I still can't seem to post any local files from the PC to the forum.(firewall probably)

Cheers,;)

Re: SURE.

fdegrove said:
Hi Brett,

Long Time no see.
Hi Frank,

Yeah, been busy with work, and a dose of the killer flu that's raging through here presently.

Sure,in fact I may have the GA articles as well and if you could post the scans here for me that I'll mail you I'd be grateful.

See,I still can't seem to post any local files from the PC to the forum.(firewall probably)

Cheers,;)
Glad to post any pix that you'd like me to on your behalf.
I finally found the drivers for my scanner, and if I can get a parallel cable for it, I'll be working again, and I'll do the articles I have if they're different.

TTFN

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
WE 91A

Hi,

The stuff I prepared for you all is ready to be scanned but unfortunately I won't have time tomorrow nor this weekend to work on this.
So please be patient,I hope to send it to you all by the end of next week.

If anyone else is interested please let me know and state a valid e-mail addres if you disables private mail for the forum.

Thanks,;)

The single pentode voltage amp/driver stage is interesting. Any thoughts on a #32 pentode driving a #45? I have two laying around.

The penthode + triode combo is generally a good sounding recipe.
I often noticed the penthode adding a bit more life and sparkle to the DHTs.

Ciao,:cool:

Joel said:
Does anyone know where online I can find a schematic of the Western Electric "model 91" amp? I can't seem to locate one.

I hear it described as a classic. The single pentode voltage amp/driver stage is interesting. Any thoughts on a #32 pentode driving a #45? I have two laying around.
I can't decide whether to do that, or just use a 6F8-G direct-coupled.:scratch2:

Joel

I've built the WE91 circuit using several different input pentodes. I liked the 6SG7 best (keep it biased away from it's remote cutoff region.) The 6J7 and 6SJ7 were pretty good too. I preferred all of these to using the C3m, which is pretty highly regarded. The 6C6 (which I haven't tried) was the original valve used in the 91 circuit and they are plentiful compared to the WE types. The 6SH7 looks interesting, too, but I haven't tried it yet.

A very nice improvement in sonics for all of these pentodes is to use an 0C3 VR tube to supply the screen. Give them a try.

Sacrificing maximum power, I'm really enjoying a simple paralleled 6N7 triode as a single stage driver for the 300B. It works really well for a 45, too.

Attached is the revised 12/93 schematic from SP #1 where Joe Roberts spoke very highly of this circuit. He got rid of the first 310 stage and feedback loop, and added a choke in the power supply.

Another popular revision is the "Angela 91", you can find the info here. http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/model.91.html

Apart from these I haven't found that much info (considering how many people have apparently built these). Look forward to the info/articles from Frank.

Noam

Attachments

• we91_1293-s.jpg
    we91_1293-s.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,401