HELP! My Cyburg Needle turned into an upside down BIB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok guys, I read these forums and get really strange ideas, whats up with that?

The latest weirdness I'm indulging in is a speaker for TB W3-871S.
I used the dimensions for a Cyburg Needle but built it like a BIB turned upside down so that the bass propagates to the floor instead of the ceiling.

In addition I angled the mouth so it is longer in the back than the front. Directly under the mouth I put a little pyramid to spread the sound, probably not necessary but it looks cool.

Overall they sound pretty good, haven't stuffed them yet, and they sound excellent with lighter fair but with some harder rock the bass gets a little boomy and muddy. I know its just a 3" inch speaker and I was amazed at the amount of bass I'm getting but if possible I would like to tighten the bass.

I had a good idea the speaker would work because its just a variation, so my question is how do I improve this design without building lots of speakers? Its similar to a BIB and I haven't been able to work thru the Mathcad sheets as BIB' are harder to sim, for me anyway. If I can tighten the bass I think I will be satisfied. Any suggestions where to start?

Here's what we're dealing with. Bass is there but needs to be a little tighter, anything else I believe can be taken care of with stuffing.

Oh and what about speaker placement? I think it needs to be moved down from the top.

Attachments

• speaker1.jpg
    speaker1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 932
I'd try stuffing first. Try putting some stuffing below the driver. You could also try putting some wool or a felted material on the bottom part of the speaker, in through the mouth. Also, pull them out of the corners, if they're jammed into them. One other thought could be spikes.

Just some things to play with. Best of luck.

Well I stuffed them, as intended, and they do sound wonderful. Especially since the only investment was the speakers and a Sunday afternoon, however I suppose the drivers need to go back in the cabs on my computer desk. It was just an experiment to see if it was viable.

So does anyone know which MJK ws I should use to sim this up with a larger speaker, like a Fostex 127 or maybe Monacor 5"

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

There isn't one to do it per se. You can get a ~half space response with the ML-TQWT WS and calc 'rp' of the terminus and set 'lp' = 0.001 so it will factor in the end correction.

Since you're pleased with how this one performs, it's just a matter of ~matching whatever it sims regardless of how far off it is. This is how I did the various BiB sims.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.