any research into off axis response Vs tweeter face profile

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the title says; I've read Zaph's off axis tweeter response roundup and it got me thinking (that and pulling apart some ATCs whice use the Vifa D26 ceramic magnet with their own machined face plate), has anyone done anything similar, but tried a number of different profiles of face plate flare on the same tweet (or a selection of tweets)?

Puggie said:
As the title says; I've read Zaph's off axis tweeter response roundup and it got me thinking (that and pulling apart some ATCs whice use the Vifa D26 ceramic magnet with their own machined face plate), has anyone done anything similar, but tried a number of different profiles of face plate flare on the same tweet (or a selection of tweets)?

Well, I once took a D26NC55, removed the flange and put a custom 1/2" waveguide on it. Results shown below. It put a mild boost centered at 3.5khz. It worked well to raise output in that area when used with a narrow cabinet that had a diffraction related dip there.

Attachments

• d26nc55-halfinchhorn-stock.gif
    d26nc55-halfinchhorn-stock.gif
    12 KB · Views: 247
AJinFLA said:

When you say removed, do you mean cut it off, or is the faceplate actually removable?

Cheers,

AJ

Removed it. See image below. The dome/coil assembly also pops off and is replaceable.

The remaining assembly was press fit into a board that had a 1-5/16" hole with a 1/2" routered roundover. No complex shape or anything, just a 90 degree arc with a .5" radius. I've come to the conclusion this is a prefered way to mount this tweeter, and it sure beats the hell out of countersinking that odd flange shape.

Attachments

• d26nc55-parts.jpg
    d26nc55-parts.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 256
Nice Zaph, I had a little play with some Morel (USA) MDT30s and routered a flare into the wood baffle, then mounted the tweet less its baffle into this.

that D26NC looks very simple to play with though. I may just have to try some different raduis and chamfered faceplates, I just need a measurement mic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.