My new CD-Shuttle!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to everybody in this amazing forum! :)

I’m very proud to present to the diyAudio community my last work and to share my big joy!!! ;)

I passed last (many!!) months designing and building a complex CD player based on an excellent (tweaked) Philips CD-PRO2M module.
It looks like a NASA Shuttle – really high tech!!

Since the silk-screen printing still miss I am thinking about a name for it :confused: ...maybe CD-Shuttle (not really original but funny)!!
:att'n: ...hints are welcome!!

Attachments

• cdt_all-open_r.jpg
    cdt_all-open_r.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 7,857
I bought only the three big feet and the cd clamper from a skilled turner!

Everything else is Hand Made with common tools and a jig router with fine regulation.

I adopted different solutions to fight the mechanical vibrations: the CD-PRO2M module is fixed to a thick machined dark plexiglass support, which is fluctuating through four couples of opposed little magnets; the case is made of two wonderful dark pieces of dampen acrylic and 8mm anodized aluminum; everything lean on three large aluminum feet filled of a sandwich of damping materials (sand, cork, soft rubber, closed cell rubber and a soft ball).

Ah, also the aluminum finishing is made by a craftsman... I didn't want to deal with dangerous sulfuric acid tanks!!

Attachments

• foot.jpg
    foot.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 5,955
Absolutely exceptional work! :bigeyes: You're making me envious...;). Anyway, I suggest a name that expresses the build quality and insensitivity to vibrations of your CDP. You know, something brutal like "behemoth" or "titan". Or you could go the other way and call it something like "CDP Mark One" or so, because it's the mother of all CD players! My two cents...Again, superb work!

Thank you Madscience!

I have annotated your suggestions

Your name suggests me you are crazy enough to start a similar project! ;) You only need AutoCAD, OrCAD, some tools and tons.. tons.. tons of patience!:smash: :smash:

Here is the pulsating heart of the Player, a very good TentLabs XO :cool:

Guido, look what a special treatment I reserve to your precious module!;) ;)

Attachments

• clock gen.jpg
    clock gen.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 6,606
I like your attitude! Screw the big industry with their copyrights...That's why I love DIY.
Right now, I'm still focused on speaker building after having completed various gear (pre amp, power amp, sub amp, sub, fullrange speakers). My CDP is very good, it's a Philips CD880. I found it for very, very cheap. :D.
By the way: What DAC are you using and what kind of output stage did you use?

ps: My metalworking skills are limited, but still, I'm proud of my power amp:

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 5,596
Hi madscience

your amp is very goodlooking. I would have used some biggest and solid panels (at least for the front panel) ...but I know it's not easy to find thick aluminum!
I'm lucky to live close to some shipyards and you know, yatchs are made with every sort of exotic material (who can buy such thing can afford exotic materials!) :mad:

Maybe in the future I'll make an amplifier too ...I'm thinking to use monoblock vertical configuration, like M. Levinson one. Do tou like it?

The analog out of my player is a kind of "service output";) so it's connected to the onboard akm dac (it has to arrive a diy dac, I already started the design!!) ;)
More attention I give to the digital section of the circuit: a TentLabs XO directly feed the CD-PRO2M and the S/pdif reclocking section (D-Flip-Flop).
The digital connectors there are: XLR 110ohm, BNC 75ohm and RCA.
The player is extensively shielded: a copper foil underneath the main board, two copper boxes shield the delicate digital circuits and the noisy display and controller board.

Give a look to the magnetical suspension:
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Attachments

• opposite_magnets_2.jpg
    opposite_magnets_2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 5,897
mrjam said:
Hi to everybody in this amazing forum! :)

I’m very proud to present to the diyAudio community my last work and to share my big joy!!! ;)

I passed last (many!!) months designing and building a complex CD player based on an excellent (tweaked) Philips CD-PRO2M module.
It looks like a NASA Shuttle – really high tech!!

Since the silk-screen printing still miss I am thinking about a name for it :confused: ...maybe CD-Shuttle (not really original but funny)!!
:att'n: ...hints are welcome!!

WOW good work TOTALLY.. Any pic's of inside ? How does it sound ?

cowanrg said:
damn.

im in awe. every so often, i see a few projects on here that im really jealous of. this is one of them. you are going to make me want to make a cd player.

congratulations. you are an inspiration to us all.

If you do ill watch and or join :)

Re: Re: My new CD-Shuttle!

jleaman said:

If you do ill watch and or join :)

yeah, inside pics would be great!

im almost done with my CNC conversion of my milling machine. soon i will be able to make things that look how i want them to look!

and i think a cd player has a lot of potential for interesting and unique design features. amps always look like amps, cd players can look very creative.

:D :D :D :D :D

Here is another picture of the cd-pro support.

Two iron axles in the center of two opposite magnets slide into teflon (bushes or bucklets)(sorry for my english!!):confused:
In that way the support is free to move vertically, low frequency vibrations (the worse ones) are not transmitted by the axles (teflon is really effective!).
I tested it with a vibrating mobile phone and a stethoscope, the attenuation is huge! ...and if you add the action of the damping feet, it's almost silent!!:cool:

Attachments

• opposite_magnets.jpg
    opposite_magnets.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 3,909
And now the interior whith the copper shield and the pcb mounted!

The sound is very good;) but I could not be objective ...you know, after this whole job!! It's my little (sincerly not very little!!) son!
I'm going to arrange a listening session with different hifi systems and some audiophiles friends.

..anyway a high end dac has to come before to touch the sky:D

Attachments

• copper_shield_top.jpg
    copper_shield_top.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 4,366
mrjam said:
Thank you Madscience!

I have annotated your suggestions

Your name suggests me you are crazy enough to start a similar project! ;) You only need AutoCAD, OrCAD, some tools and tons.. tons.. tons of patience!:smash: :smash:

Here is the pulsating heart of the Player, a very good TentLabs XO :cool:

Guido, look what a special treatment I reserve to your precious module!;) ;)

Ciao Roberto

I am impressed by your craftmanship, also your ideas on the suspension (CDpro) are really great !

a job well done !

Hi Guido!

:cannotbe: :cannotbe:

It is a great pleasure to receive your compliments!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Here's another view.....
You can see:
- the laser pick-up, it's painted with army green mat paint, really effective to absorb laser spurious radiations
- the belt which drives the lid, this operation is controlled by a Microchip PIC expressly programmed ...another thing to deal with but it's too cool compared to the hand open ones:cool: and it sounds as Robocop!
- the copper box that shields the display board

Attachments

• lid-open_left-up.jpg
    lid-open_left-up.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 4,176
Dave Cawley said:
This looks really cool ! I’m new here, so are the electronics from another thread ? And/or is there a section on a complete electronic set up that can be built and interfaced to a high quality CD drive ?

Thanks

Dave

Hi

The drive and display interface can be ordered directly at www.diy-high-end.com/cd. In addition (though a bit early to anounce) there is a matching I2S DAC / tubed IV converter cooking in Tentlabs' kitchen which makes it a very decent integrated CD player......

best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.