Enclosures, where do you get yours?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Please help!

I'm considering building a UcD700AD and I'm really useless with metal working so I need an off the shelf one that looks reasonable. I'm in the UK so anything from Europe would be economical on postage but maybe shipping from the US would be a little expensive.

I've seen plenty of pictures on here with excellent looking chassis but can I heck as like find any suppliers.

I rather like the look of those 2U cases with the Alu fronts in this pic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi all,

I too am in the U.K and i need a source for cheap good looking 2U enclosures. The only ones i can find are at Maplins, but i fail to see how they warrent charging £35 for an empty case. I could buy a cheap peice of equipment for that and throw away the stuff inside to leave me with an empty case but that would be wastful.

If anyone knows of a manufacturer in the U.K please do post.

Regards
Mad.P

You could always buy an old amp, tape or tuner. Salvage the innards and fit a new wooden panel on the front. Secondhand shops often have a few dead components lying around and are happy to get a couple of pounds for them. You might even get a decent knob.

In a few weeks (hopefully) there will something quite special for housing smaller amps/DACs/etc. I don't know how big the UCD modules are but they should fit. Keep an eye out on DD for more news as to their availablilty.

I'm not the one supplying them but I have been involved in the design and have seen some samples. We are talking 'class' here rather than just an enclosure! ;)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Nuuk said:
So you'll just have to settle for one of those boring rectangular things! :dead:

Its rectangular but not as boring as it could have been:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I like the 'tank' type amp enclosures and it sounds like yours is more 'compact'?

I probably wouldn't be able to fit what I need in there, though I'm not quite sure how small your case really is.

Thanks anyway.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: perm?

lgreen said:
This topic, who to use for PCB fab, what PCB software to use, and certain others I can think of come up so often that I wish there were perminent threads for this. Just me.

Maybe a sticky is called for listing such suppliers and manufacturers?

This would save the average user a hell of a lot of leg work with the less than brilliant search function ie. type in enclosure and you get 100's of hits but very little useful information.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.