PLEASE HELP-240 wpc LM4780 DESIGN

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought 2 LM4780 Mono Kits from Peter Daniel at Audiosector.com. Thats 4 chips total.

My goal is to create two Mono Amps that each contain two chips wired in Mono. So essentially, EACH SPEAKER will individually recieve 240 watts.

I just finished a single LM4780 kit (120 watts/2 channel)and it works great so I am familiar with the chips and how to wire them in Parllel. Now I want to bring 2 chips wired in parallel together!

I am not sure how to wire this however. Each Mono Amp will be running off of a dual 25 volt 330 VA torroidial transformer from parts express.

So how do I bring the Mono signals together through wiring? I am guessing that I could wire them in parallel again and then just bridge the two amps together somehow???? Would that work??

If it is right...does anyone have a clear schematic or explination on how exactly the wires need to be connected??

In case you are wondering why I need so much power, I will include a link to the speakers I am trying to push. Check out the Ohm load!:bigeyes: 1.2 at 20K
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=95

Is it as simple as using a sig out to from one amp and the sig in form other?? I would think that only one board is pushing current in this configuration??

Peter is a big help, but I already ask him too many questions!LOL
Please Help with these monsters!

Dominick in New Jersey

240wpc lm4780

Yes you can parellel the two boards, mount boards directly together make sure of one common ground connection, connect your speaker outputs together as close two the output resistors as possible, same fore the inputs.
The Martins are a pretty difficult load to drive!!! the package dissipation of the lm4780 is 120w, taking in all the math that adds up to a SAO of about 80watts per package, DC offset can be a major incumbrance you can have an amp that sounds perfect but is wasteing 20 to 40% off its ouput power. I would check power out, DC offset ,idle currents ect..... just to make sure you are getting every bit of power to load.
DONT SKIMP ON HEAT SINKS

I am not sure that you understood my question.

I already made dual mono lm4780 amps that put out 120 watts each! They sound great!

I am looking to now combine the same type mono amps to produce 240 watts into ONE channel! Not 120 into 2 channels.

So in total, I will have 480 watts into the two main speakers.

I just dont know how to wire this. What do I change to bridge the two parallel Mono amp boards??

Thanks,
Dominick

Use a DRV 134 from Burr Brown.

Go to their website and look at the application notes to see how to wire it up. You will need a +/-15 volt DC power supply to run the DRV 134. and simply connect one output to the left input of the amp, and the other to the right. and use your right positive speaker output as the "Bridged Positive" and the left positive as the "Bridge Negative" (yes, only the positives get used)

This will have the added bonus of giving you a higher input impedance, so your preamp won't be stressed out.

I used it to Bridge two pairs of LM3875s together. Here are some links below.

http://guerrillaaudio.com/store/bunker/BurrBrownDRV134LineDriverBridgingModule.html

http://guerrillaaudio.com/store/bunker/ParallelGainCloneAmplifier.html

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm on this project as well, and the best way to do it is either a DRV134 or a dual opamp unity-gain buffer, one inverting and the other non-inverting. My monoblocks are completed and they work perfectly this way, with a 440 VA EI-core transformer.

As of now the amps are being driven by my delta 66 (which has a balanced output) and they sound awesome. Can't take the power above 3% (Yes, we can measure now) before my ears start to hurt from sound pressure.

OK--thanks guys,

I will buy the DRV134...But there are three that Burr-Brown makes!?????

Which one do I want for this project?
Pricing/Packaging/CAD Design Tools/Samples
Price Packaging CAD Design Tools Samples
Device Status Budget Price ($US) | QTY Industry Standard (TI Pkg) | Pins Top Side Marking Standard Pack Quantity Symbols Footprints Samples
DRV134PA ACTIVE 1.95 | 1KU PDIP (P) | 8 View 50 View View Request Free Samples
DRV134UA ACTIVE 1.95 | 1KU SOIC (DW) | 16 View 48 View View Request Free Samples
DRV134UA/1K ACTIVE 1.95 | 1KU SOIC (DW) | 16 View 1000 View View Purchase Samples

That may not have come out so well... Here is the link to Burr Brown.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/drv134.html

THanks,
Dominick

Jason, Just to make sure I understand you correctly...

I will be taking 2 stereo amps wired in parallel which makes them two mono amps. Then I am going to use the DRV164 to bridge these mono amps according to you I think.

Is that what you are saying I can do??

Or are you just referring to a chip that bridges the stereo amp into a mono ONLY???

Thanks again,
Dominick

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't worry about some having 16 pins and some having 8. Internally they're exactly the same, execpt the surface mount chips are a little bigger for heat reasons since the DRV134 drives quite a heavy load. Surface mount packages usualy can dissipate less heat than their DIP counterparts, so an increase in area may have been needed to keep it within safe limits at short-circuit or full load conditions. The internal circuitry is the same, and there will be a lot of unconnected pins. So don't worry, use whatever you like.

The way it works is that almost all sources output voltage in one 'Direction' only, with reference to ground. For an amp to be bridged the two amplifiers need to see opposing voltages, so one amp is driven negative when the other is driven positive. The total voltage across the load then becomes twice the input signal + the amp gain.

The DRV134 takes an input signal, adds 6dB of gain, then supplies two outputs, one with the positive signal the other with negative signal (inverse polarity). Then these two outputs need to be connected the two amps, and the speaker connected to the output live terminals of the two amps (+ and + spkr outputs to + and - of the speaker). The speaker will not be connected to the ground at any time.

I'm using this scheme right now (as I said, I'm not using a DRV134 yet but am in the process, meantime using my soundcard with balanced output) and it works fine!

Dominick22 said:
Jason, Just to make sure I understand you correctly...

I will be taking 2 stereo amps wired in parallel which makes them two mono amps. Then I am going to use the DRV164 to bridge these mono amps according to you I think.

Is that what you are saying I can do??

Or are you just referring to a chip that bridges the stereo amp into a mono ONLY???

Thanks again,
Dominick
If you do that you will be making one BIG mono amp, which is what I did with my 4 chip gainclone. 4 outputs, .22 ohm resistor on each positive output to force power sharing. now tie two outputs and inputs together. this results in two paralleled amps. now drive these two amps with ONE DRV 134.

on the other hand, if you just want two bridged amps, just drive each amp with a DRV 134.

Look at the BPA 200 and 300 threads for details.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.