My 1st Aleph Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought I'd share pictures of me Aleph30 in progress. The chassis is complete and I'm now focusing on the electronics.

The main chassis plate was built through frontpanel express and bent into a box on a sheet metal brake.

The heatsinks are the large ones from Conrad heatsinks.

This was a lot of fun to assemble, and a great excuse for me to buy the drill press I always wanted. I'm happy with all the drilling and tapping of the screw holes. This was my first attempt to tap screw holes and everything worked out well.

You might like the Service warning on the back.

-David

Attachments

• aleph30-back.jpg
    aleph30-back.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 6,167
Frontpanel express charged $187USD including shipping. Not inexpensive, but the outcome is professional looking. I noticed a lot of builders use aluminum plates and aluminum square stock. Thought this might be an easy approach, and it was.

All said and done, it costs less to buy a good used Aleph30... but that would't be as much fun.

-David

BrianDonegan said:
Sweet chassis! What did you use for trafos?

The transformers are from Antek in Canada they are 21+21 at 400va. The price was $84 for the pair. The owner was very nice to deal with, and he shipped as promised. If you buy more than one from him directly an eBay, he will shave a few bucks off the asking price.

Seemed like a good deal.

-David

chipco3434 said:
Did you get a price on two by any chance?

For 2 panels of the same design, FrontPanel express reduces the price on this configuration by about 10% on the order.

Download their CAD program for free, mock-up a panel, and the CAD tool costs out a quote and estimates delivery time.

I removed a series of mounting holes not needed in the file I used for a Trafo housing. This reduced the cost by $25. The attached file costs $141 shipping included.

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

-David

I had a local precision fab shop bend up to chassis's. The cost was around $100 for the labor. The panels are 2mm thick and it takes a large sheetmetal brake for a 14ga panel.

Attached is an image of a bare chassis and the heatsinks being tapped with 1/4" holes 3/16" deep.

-David

Attachments

• aleph30 001-web.jpg
    aleph30 001-web.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 3,277
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.