Aleph P 1.0 preamplifier - just finished

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Halo,

This is Aleph P 1.0 clone I just finished building.
The enclosure is built as matching one to Gain Clone I presented here some time ago:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47855&highlight=

Outside it is the same size , accept 2 cm lower.
I used:
1. Welwyn 55C low wattage resistors. The wriewound power resistors also come from Welwyn.
2. Capacitors are Siemens Sikorel 125 and Black Gate N as signal coupling.
3. Vishay - Telefunken BYV 26C rectifire diodes.
4. The transformer comes from local manufacturer of very high quality transformers for medical purposes. It has electrostatic and elecromagnetic shields and is filled with epoxy.
5. Cardas pure copper litz wire (made by me with individual strands) that I additionally covered with cotton sleeves.
6. The volume control is based on Elma switch. It is ladder type and I used custom values of resistors to give actual and precise 2db steps. They came from local manufacturer of high quality metal film risistors (Elpod).
7. There is no input selector. It accepts both RCA and XLR signals but offers only RCA output (hence 4 deck Elma switch).

The sound is just excellent and I prefer this pramp over Aleph L, BLS , Bride of Zen and Aleph P 1.7 that I have all also tried

Bartek

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,164
Many thanks for all good words.

Does the 1.0 have a "darker" sound than 1.7?

Yes I think it's darker, it's also a bit more relaxed which benefits with Gain Clone as it is less relaxed that Aleph power amps.

I'm quite familiar with P 1.0 pramp as I have been living with it for the past 1,5 year, just without enclosure, built on the piece of wood. I know for sure that both P preamps are the best of the ones that the circuits are avaiable. I think I like P 1.0 better , but I spent very short time with P 1.7 and put it apart. I'm planning to try this preamp again. But I spent a lot of time with BLS, Bride of Zen, and especially Aleph L (both versions). Aleph L (the first version all active one) is the next pramp after both P I like. I didn't like BLS much and Bride of Zen.

What I like about P 1.0.
It is very refined sound, very good from top to the bottom and sounds very extended at extremes. The imaging is also the best of other I mentioned (maybe accept P 1.7). It is also very, very smooth and relaxed. It just sounds right and addictive.

This preamp is burning in right now so I don't have much to say of the actual combination of the parts. Sure coupling caps would be a bit better than BG N, but when the space is limited they are the best. And they are still much better than many "audiophile" film caps. But there are sure the ones that are just more refined than BG N :)

I think I will build one more P 1.0 in the future using the very best parts that are available :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.