Axiom EP600 Sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. Does anyone have (or have listening experience) with the Axiom EP600 sub?

I noted that it has XLR balanced input capability (which would work very well with my DIY setup) but the brand doesn't seem to be discussed much at all. Plus, the EP600 appears to go as "low" as anything I'd need.

I guess I would team the EP600 with their M80ti towers. But still, I haven't heard much about the brand. The price for the combination seems too good to be true (fidelity-wise, heh). :att'n:

Thanks for any input. Currently, Klipsch is #1 on my list. And, my DIY project includes a power amp to drive those two main towers (of either chosen brand).
Joe

there is a lot of controversy over these subs, specially since there are a couple of fanatics that have raved well about it, while the actual measurements have been less than stellar....

here is some good info on it:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259890

I know guys over at avs like craigsub and jakeman think very highly of it since they own it, but many others have their doubts.

I personally think it probably is a very good "sounding" sub, but does not have the power and extension of say the SVS offerings....

Hi jdgonko,

In the interest of presenting contrasting opinions, I would steer you to a blind listening test of the Axiom EP500, and an SVS PB12 Ultra. The attendees thought they were actually hearing 4 different subs, and didn't know what 4 they were. We were reasonably sure that one was an SVS, and one was an Axiom, but we had no idea what the other 2 were. It turned out that what we heard was an SVS PB12 Ultra in 20 Hz tuning, an EP500 with a boost at 25 Hz, an SVS PB12 in 16 Hz tuning, and an EP500 equalized flat. Five of the six preferred the Axiom, the 6th had them virtually tied.

Of those who attended, at the time of the test, 3 owned SVS subs, 1 owned both an SVS and an Axiom sub, and 2 owned neither. Experience ranged from relatively inexperienced to a genuine expert (Bossobass)

Subwoofer Listening Session On November 20

It's a long thread with many sidetracks by those who wished to discredit the procedures and findings. If you'd rather not wade through the swamp, here are the impressions of those who attended:

JeffD2 (He speaks for both himself, and his son)

Rijax (that's me :D)

Bossobass

Ray**W

Jakeman

The EP600 is virtually the same sub as the EP500 but with a bit lower extension. I personally think the Axiom EP500 is an excellent sub. So much so, that I acquired one after the test. Though the SVS PB12 Ultra will play lower and louder, I feel The EP500 is superior to the SVS above 22 Hz. From 18 to 22 Hz they are about even, and below 18 Hz, the SVS has the advantage. It will certainly play as loud as I need in my 2450 cubic foot space. I barely have the volume knob at 25% of available volume.

Hello Rijax! Thanks for all the great info there!

From my experience, I've found that if a sub doesn't go as low as I want (or need) it to, it doesn't hit the mark (so to speak). In other words, if a sub doesn't go very loud (SPL-wise) at sub 15Hz frequencies, I can always buy a second one to augment that range. But, if a sub cannot even do sub-15Hz, buying a second one won't help one bit as I will only be boosting what it "can do."

Case in point: I have two Infinity BassLinks in the back of my grand cherokee and they'll do pretty darn well (plus, they're extremely tight in response). But, if the program material has extremely low frequencies, neither of the two will produce them at a level that you can really "feel."

So, taking your info into account, it appears that the SVS subs will provide that super-low bass extension and, if need be, I will get two of them, heh.

Thanks again and have a safe holiday weekend!
Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.