Just added caps and snubber bit from CarlosFM design PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have plucked up the courage to try making something from a diagram :eek: I made the most of the CarlosFM snubberised PSU board and have added it between the rectifier and amp on my rev 3 LM3875 kit.

I left out 1 of the 10,000 uF caps in case..

1) they exploded when I plugged it in - I bet they really do go bang too - they're pretty big...

2) they take up more space than I have spare in the case

((I actually put a bike crash helmet on to switch it all on for the first time :D again.... :D :D ))

Anyway, its been going for 1/2 hour and hasn't gone bang yet. :)

I was a bit worried because I don't have a common ground - it's a dual mono kit - I have +ve / 0 and 0 /-ve but worked out which way to put the caps (I'm new to electronics... can you tell :D)

The sound which was already beautifully clear and detailed seems possibly slightly fuller - the bass is punchier - the speakers I'm using aren't great for bass so the difference may be more obvious.

The biggest change is how much louder I can turn up the preamp before any distortion - it goes loud enough for the sound to be completely enveloping now - I'm well chuffed..... again. :D

I'm getting another set of bits to do the same for the other 2 channels tomorrow.

Thanks to CarlosFM for creating it and for making the design available :)

quickshift = happy bunny :D

This is what I did;

added nichicon 4700uf 50v; bypassed with sangamo .001uf axial non polar cap and snubber is .47ohm 1 watt to 100nf metal poly cap.

Attachments

• planer 058 (custom).jpg
    planer 058 (custom).jpg
    31 KB · Views: 565
The result is: more swing,resolution, better defined bass, a much quieter background. You can hear more detail.It gets you in a little closer.

the pic shows the 2 channels, one not modified

cheers doggy:)

Attachments

• planer 054 (custom).jpg
    planer 054 (custom).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 515
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.