• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Searching for simple circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to build my first tube amp. I've done a few kits and now want to build a simple and not too expensive amplifier.

I'm looking for a integrated amp with simple circuit. I'm not looking for power particularly but some triode circuits are a little low on power (2-4 watts is not very much). 10 watts would be great.

Do you guys have any suggestions of a simple circuit, that would not cost too much to build. I would like to spend maybe less than 400$ on that first one.

Thanks
F

I would say a 2A3 3.5W or 300B 8W Single-Ended Power Amplifier is very simple to build. Regarding the price, it really depend on what kind of trannys you want to put in. The Hammond transformers are very nice with reasonable pricing. I don't see there are very significant price difference in 2A3 to a 6550 SE amp.

Johnny

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
If I were you I'd build a push-pull design using an inexpensive, readily available pentode such as the EL34 in triode mode. You should be able to get at least 15w with 400v B+, you won't need much negative feedback (if any) to get a decent damping factor and the required output tansformer need not be too expensive. There are lots of circuits around for this type of amp.

Gary,

Poindexter's PP triode wired PP 6V6 "integrated" amp is good for 8 WPC. There's all sorts of things that can be done to tweak Poinz's ELEGANT design. Switching to ultralinear/exolinear should get about 12 WPC. Uncle Ned's "Dynaclone" trafos would be FINE. EL84s instead of 6V6s are FINE too. The $400 target seems quite reasonable to me.

FWIW, I'm involved in scoping out a Bargain Basement project that uses $20 guitar amp O/P "iron". My thinking is to LOOSELY follow Poinz's lead at a MUCH less elegant level. Perhaps you might pick up a useful tidbit or 2, as the cheapskate project evolves.

Poindexter's Site

Bargain Basement Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.