$7 open baffles...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Chris, Scott & I got together last Saturday with the prime purpose of cleaning up the "recycle facility" a bit, listen & tweak the FE127 prototypes, and to make an approximation of an RH84.

During clean-up Chris wanted to toss a set of unual shaped "wings" i had collected off the side of the road, to which i said i would use them for open baffles, then he asked when would i ever get at it, so i grabbed a set of vintage foster 6" with whizzer cones and tasked Scott to build them... which he did on the back of his truck.

I got them upstairs into the main system today (had to sell the drivers in what i was listening too after Scott took the bi-pole 40-1197 ML-Voigts away). These are quite respectable with a ton of room for tweakage -- including removing extraneous hardware that came with the baffles, actually cleaning them, making a better leg, and of course tweaking the driver and how it is mounted. I threw the BSC circuit from my blue & yellow Frugal-phile(tm) specials on them for a bit of midband suppression.

Looking at the baffles, i'm guessing they were actually partitions for some irregular shaped conveyance, perhaps an airplane or a mobile living facility. An atractive shape never-the-less.

I've a ton of the drivers i chose -- i score every pair of the distinctive Lloyds boxes these come out of (about 1 in 4 yeilds a pr that are an alnico variation). I typically pair $7/pr for these (5.7 USD/4.4 Euro). All other bits are salvage that was laying around and the baffles were on the side of the road (i got a couple loads as the guy was cleaning out a workshop).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
oops... the pictures... in the system

Attachments

• 7cad-obs.jpg
    7cad-obs.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,150
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
EC8010 said:
I've just flogged through this thread and haven't seen any mention of how the baffles sound!

Really quite decent... surprising bass (no deep bass) and they get a bit hard when pushed (my CD player is a contributor there). Certainly good enuff that they aren't going to get kicked out soon, and i'm going to hand pick a set of drivers (i have a drawer full of this particular unit) and modified the H out of them.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ropie said:
How much bass do you get with those baffles (which look like interior fittings from a boat)?

Low bass is MIA, but i'm used to that -- an XO for the sub so i can also use it in the hifi is half breadboarded on the coffee table), but what is there is excellent. Hand picking a driver & redoing the leg such that it acts as a baffle wing should help extend the bass a bit.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.