subwoofer for JX92

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am told that the JX92 demands a quality subwoofer. none of those 12" dia 1" Xmax driver (shiva, temepest, etc....) will mate with it properly.

i intend to feed the JX 92 from a HT/AVR (Marantz SR7000) and th sub would be fed from the sub out of the same HT/AVR (100hz).

what sub designs can you guys recommed considering WAF.

I was considering the follow:
2 woofers in a dipole (can anyone recommed any 8-10" woofers for this as the DPL12 might be too big and slow).

2 woofer is 2 narrow (10:1) tapered TLs. these woofers would be in shallow enclosures againt a wall or in a corner.

2 woofers in a small 3-4 cu. ft. sealed box under the sofa.

BTW I do have 4 (DV12) 12" from audio concepts lying around. should i even attempt mating these to the JX92?

Jordan sub

I'm also in the process of designing a sub to partner some Jordan monitors ! Going for a more conventional [and wife friendly] compact design, with a single 12" driver in a 50L sealed enclosure and would be interested to hear views on appropriate driver/amps that would be up to the job. I need them to be easily available in the UK though !!!

I've just finished a pair JX92S monitors that I'm running with a Peerless 10" XLS passive radiator sub in my office. The sub enclosure is about 1ft^3. In the room, it's flat to 20Hz except for a +12dB node at 45Hz, due to the room no doubt. I've got an EQ on it to kill that node. I can't imagine anything could sound much better in a 14'X18' room with 12' ceilings. The mains are in a .3ft^3 sealed box, and employ BSC's of L=1.5 mH, R = 3.9 Ohm. There's no high pass filter on the mains. I'm crossing over to the sub at about 80 Hz.

Maybe in the next few days I'll start a thread with pictures.

Re: Jordan sub

smallangryboy said:
I'm also in the process of designing a sub to partner some Jordan monitors ! Going for a more conventional [and wife friendly] compact design, with a single 12" driver in a 50L sealed enclosure and would be interested to hear views on appropriate driver/amps that would be up to the job. I need them to be easily available in the UK though !!!

The PartsExpress 12" Titanic Mark III models real well in a sealed box that size. If you use a little boost at 20Hz, the response starts to fall at around 40Hz and is down 6dB at 22Hz or so. With room lift, that might be just about perfect. PE has recently published resistor values for adjusting the boost on their 804 240 watt plate amp, which has a 24dB lowpass filter. If I were going to build another sub, I think I might give that combination a try. I don't have any idea how much it would cost to ship the stuff to the UK.

Dave Jones said:
I've just finished a pair JX92S monitors that I'm running with a Peerless 10" XLS passive radiator sub in my office. The sub enclosure is about 1ft^3. In the room, it's flat to 20Hz except for a +12dB node at 45Hz, due to the room no doubt. I've got an EQ on it to kill that node. I can't imagine anything could sound much better in a 14'X18' room with 12' ceilings. The mains are in a .3ft^3 sealed box, and employ BSC's of L=1.5 mH, R = 3.9 Ohm. There's no high pass filter on the mains. I'm crossing over to the sub at about 80 Hz.

Maybe in the next few days I'll start a thread with pictures.

Off topic, but I killed that nasty node at 45Hz. It was simply a matter of moving the sub around in the room until I found just the right spot. It's now razor flat to 20Hz with no EQ.

Colin

Thanks for the link. I have seen that before and did have a chat about it with Ted Jordan.

However we were looking at our own solution to sell with our satellites, and didn't want a third party like MJ involved.

I've not heard the Jordan based Pro 50 but the MJ version has had mixed press, especially on the AV forums.

Currently we are working with John at Acoustic Elegance in the US, as he makes some very high quality sub drivers, based around the Lambda Acoustics LB12, and a 350w dedicated plate amp to partner it. I'm just waiting for the prototype to arrive but was measuring up some home grown alternatives in case it didn't work out.

Re: Re: Jordan sub

Dave Jones said:

The PartsExpress 12" Titanic Mark III models real well in a sealed box that size. If you use a little boost at 20Hz, the response starts to fall at around 40Hz and is down 6dB at 22Hz or so. With room lift, that might be just about perfect. PE has recently published resistor values for adjusting the boost on their 804 240 watt plate amp, which has a 24dB lowpass filter. If I were going to build another sub, I think I might give that combination a try. I don't have any idea how much it would cost to ship the stuff to the UK.

Dave

On the PE website they have the Titanic partnered up to a 500w amp, I'm not sure if I could use this here in the UK as it doesn't say the power supply is switchable. Just wondered if the 250w amp would be OK to drive the Titanic ?

Also, not sure I want to go delving into the guts of the amp changing resistor values, a bit beyond me, wondered if this would have a big impact just using the amp 'as is' with the driver ?

Re: Re: Re: Jordan sub

smallangryboy said:

Dave

On the PE website they have the Titanic partnered up to a 500w amp, I'm not sure if I could use this here in the UK as it doesn't say the power supply is switchable. Just wondered if the 250w amp would be OK to drive the Titanic ?

Also, not sure I want to go delving into the guts of the amp changing resistor values, a bit beyond me, wondered if this would have a big impact just using the amp 'as is' with the driver ?

The 250W amp might give you a few dB less max volume. I don't know.

Concerning the resistors, on the amp that I modified, it was not difficult at all. The only moderately hard part was removing the internal cover to the preamp. But that was a different unit.

As an alternative, you could get a plate amp with a built-in parametric equalizer. Those are more expensive, but some would allow you not only to add the boost, but also kill a room node.

I am attaching modeled FR plots for a system in a 48 liter box both with 4dB boost at 20 Hz, and without boost. The no boost graph is obviously inferior.

Here's the one with boost:

Attachments

• titanic boost.png
    titanic boost.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 430
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
smallangryboy said:
Currently we are working with John at Acoustic Elegance in the US, as he makes some very high quality sub drivers, based around the Lambda Acoustics LB12, and a 350w dedicated plate amp to partner it. I'm just waiting for the prototype to arrive but was measuring up some home grown alternatives in case it didn't work out.

I'm having trouble getting used to the Acoustic Elegance name -- John will probably always be Stryke to me. i sure hope John can resurrect Llambda -- some of the best woofers ever made. John has a better business head on him, and is smart. He is young thou and has been beset by a few set-backs (having tochange names probably a minor one)

dave

Yes he sounds keen, and it's just a case of making sure his success doesn't get the better of him. He sounds like a really good bloke and I hope his success continues.

As I understand it he is inundated with orders for his drivers, especially the AV12, one of the most popular and one which I had originally intended to use, however he has quite a severe backorder on many of his drivers, one of the reasons my financial backer demand we look to other avenues as well for supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.