Need help with PLLXO High Pass filter for full range's!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built a couple of 7l vented boxes for TangBand W4-1052sa's for use as full range computer/small HT speakers, and I'm powering them exclusively with a Sonic Impact T-amp.

I used a SBB4 alignment, which gives me good power handling and extension down to about 55hz, but below that the t-amp makes those litte 4" cones go nuts trying to play low bass. I simulated different filters in WinISD, and settled on a 2nd order high-pass filter at 65hz as the best balance of power handling and extension.

Problem is, the components for a high-level filter at that frequency (and at 4 ohms) would be:

A. Huge
B. Almost as expensive at the rest of the project
C. Detrimental to efficiency/distortion (?)

Then I read Dave (planet10)'s primer on PLLXO's: http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html

Seems like this would be the perfect solution and fit with the bargain-basemet hi-fi aesthetic of the whole thing. Problem is, I've never designed a filter before, and the PLLXO stuff is particularly confusing to me. I know I need to take the input impedance of the T-amp (10k ohms, AFAIK) into consideration, but I can't see exactly how this value fits into the equations for the 2nd order filter....

Also, will there be a problem since the two channels share a common ground at input on the 1/8" stereo jack of the T-amp?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bwbass said:
... and is the choice of R1 purely arbitrary, or is there a reason for choosing 5k vs 10k, for example...?

R1 wants to be about 1/10th as big as R2. The smaller R1 is the bigger the cap needs to be. You also don't want to load down the previous stage.

So if we want to maintain a 10k input impedance, than set R1 to 10k, and R2 to 100k. R2 will actually be in pararallel with the SI's input impedance so actual R2' needs to be about 111k.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bwbass said:
I think so... I'll have to check when I get home tonight. What Q value do you think would model this filter?

~0.5, depends on the ratios of r1/r2

And just to clarify, by "low Q", do you mean that the corner will be less sharp and the transision to a true 12db/oct will take longer (happen at a lower frequency)?

sort off.... it will also start attenuating earlier.

dave

So the f3 will stay at 65hz in this case, it's just that the slope of the filter curve at this point would vary somewhat...

lower Q = Lower slope at f3 = higher start of the rolloff
higher Q = Higher slope at f3 = lower start of the rolloff

...right? :confused:

If this is the case, it should work out fine for my design... I'll model a .5 Q filter later tonight and see how it looks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
not a perfect illustration, but blue is lower Q... ultimately thet should have the same roll-off

dave

Attachments

• q-eg.gif
    q-eg.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 437
Thanks for all the help! I was able to model a .5 Q filter, and I was a bit taken aback at first! The rolloff does start quite a bit sooner, so much so that my 65hz f3 turned into a 100+ hz f3!

So I played around a bit, and eventually wound up lowering the HPF to 50hz. I also tried modeling a larger box with a more traditional alignment to see it I could get more bass response, with surprising results...

The 100hz bump that the smaller SBB4 alignment has naturally combines nicely with the low-Q filter to make what looks like a higher-Q-filter rolloff. The larger alignment has a hair more extension in the very low end, but rolls off so early that the trade-off in midbass isn't worth it, IMO.

Here's the excursion plots at 10 watts for both boxes (QB4 is blue, SBB4 is gray):

Attachments

• excursion.jpg
    excursion.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 260
bwbass said:
I've built a couple of 7l vented boxes for TangBand W4-1052sa's for use as full range computer/small HT speakers, and I'm powering them exclusively with a Sonic Impact T-amp.

I used a SBB4 alignment, which gives me good power handling and extension down to about 55hz, but below that the t-amp makes those litte 4" cones go nuts trying to play low bass. I simulated different filters in WinISD, and settled on a 2nd order high-pass filter at 65hz as the best balance of power handling and extension.

Unless you've modded your SI, it's already rolling off the bass a little bit for you:

http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/Bass.htm

You may want to take this into consideration when designing your cross-over.

Good luck!

I know... I've been following his thread here in the Class D forum. I had prototyped these boxes in cardboard first, and in these leaky, resonant enclosures I had overexcursion all the time. Most likely the tuning was a lot lower than my design spec.

Now in a proper box, I find the combo is pretty indestructable due to the inherent bass roll-off of the SI.

My thanks to Dave anyways - at least I learned something!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.