Hey, guys, new modules!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have eventually found a new webpage (seems to be still under construction). It is a company named "ColdAmp" and seems that they will sell Class-D amplifier modules and even SMPSs
They have a list of features and particullarly neat mechanics drawings of the modules they are going to sell. I think that their features are more than interesting, let's hope they have good prices.

I will check the page very often, they seem to be updating it very quickly.

(just in case it helps somebody)

Cheers

Well, yesterday I wrote to them.

They told me that they will publish all the specifications and data in a datasheet as soon as they finish the last reliability tests and optimizations, hopefully in 2-3 weeks.
They also told me that the modules would be available in 6-8 weeks.

The only info they gave me about pricing is that they will cost between 85-100 euros.

I think they look promising, if all the features they claim are really there, and the mechanics look neat, very easy to assembly and quite self-contained. One of the weak points of all the other modules (RFI level) seems to have been taken care of. And if the prices are good...

Cheers.

Hi Pierre!
Why you assume that "One of the weak points of all the other modules (RFI level) seems to have been taken care of." As far as i know the UcD, at least, have better then enough EMI performance, and about SOUND of the UcD enough wrote too. We are waiting amazing sound of the any new class D project, because it performs >90% efficiency? I don't think so..Please note- noone ask about UcD efficiency anymore. Actually i think (i'm sure) that class amplifiers, i.e. A;AB;D, isn't matter, but real matter is designer class, were we? And let's hear it first.. ok, without specs even!;)

Of course specs and, above all, sound, are the decisive words. I agree with you in that the only pre-assumed advantage of Class-D is efficiency, and that all the rest (the most important thing: sound quality) has to be demonstrated, like in any other amplifier type.

In fact, I was only saying that it could be interesting to see other alternatives out there so I, at least, will be very pendient on Coldamp site updates, specially the specifications when they put them in the page. Perhaps it can be an alternative to LCAudio, CADAudio or UcD.

I want to make clear that I don't encourage or have nothing to do with them.

Cheers,
Pierre

I want to make clear that I don't encourage or have nothing to do with Hypex too.;-) To be honest, (IMHO) coldamp it's a feedback before filter design, there is reason to decide that it have no so good damping factor, which will fall with frequency growing, and load depended also. Our requirement is still U source? Probably it's a conventional PWM design, 1.5 years ago ssanmor diyAudio Member made such, BTW, thx for Charles. What is new in coldamp concept?
:confused:

Ivan,
How did you know that details about Coldamp amplifiers, did they give you any specifications yet? If so, could you share them with us? It's only that your impresions can't be extracted from the info they give in their webpage, so I supposed that you managed to get a response from them.

Pierre

Hi Chris,
check this out and forget :( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=409311#post409311
Pierre,
just IMHO, nothing more, which based on: "High current - toroidal coil output filter with RF post-filter that allows much less ripple at the output than most modules out there."+"Fully synchronous design", i think that if they would take feedback after both filters(i.e. 4 order) it would be called as "advanced features", because i can't assume that such "advanced features" like "Almost pure SMD design" or "Al[l]uminium chassis" is much more exclusive. I don't know..maybe it will be clear after 6-8 week.
ps: what you think about "Designed to use ColdAmp modules from 240V AC mains, avoiding the big size and heavy weight of conventional 50Hz toroidal transformers. Efficiency and size-weight reduction are now taken to the maximum expression."
:bigeyes:

Well, IVX, for a moment I thought you had reliable info on Coldamp modules ;-)

You are right, all will be clear in 6-8 weeks when they release their datasheet, so no sense to discuss about what nobody (but them) know about these amps.

Cheers!

BTW: What exactly do you want us to read in the forum thread you point to?

Hi karsten madsen,

You must be hungry. You've several posts here refering people to your products/company's web site, while having said nothing else. Based on that, it would appear you're no help to anyone here, other than yourself.

Also, would I be correct in saying you hold no interest in small quantity sales, such as most here would bring you? Seems to me you've said as much in previous posts, something to the effect of having no interest in dealing with anyone other than OEMs. Are they just not going for it and so you've changed your stance? It would at least be a good source for people to get IcePower amps, as we still know very little, if not nothing of your own.

I'm sure you're knowledgeable? So why don't you try participating, and save face from having to spam your URL, you can include it in your signature and people will go to it on their own without the need for prompting. It would be alot more professional!

Pierre, hi, the link, IVX was just replying to a question I'd asked. I agree with IVX regarding this coldamp module also, I wouldn't expect anything ground breaking from them based on the points they've tried to sell it on so far, but yeah, we could still be surprised yet. Keep us updated with whatever you find out on it :)

Regards,
Chris

Yes, Karsten. You could tell us a bit about your designs instead of making just advertisement just every time you can ;-) (don't get hungry, please, I am only joking)

Thanks, classd4sure. I agree, let's wait until Coldamp post some figures. Provided that it first has to sound good (of course that's the most important condition), all the rest (features and mechanics) seems neat, you have to be with me, aren't you?

Cheers!

Hi :)

The mechanics look sound, for whatever that's worth!

Features mentioned mostly seem common place other than maybe their volume pot after the input, not sure if that's a good thing. "Fully synchronous" hmm

Just cant' tell. It's nice to see another possible option out there though, certainly one for car audio.

I'd really like to know more about how it works though, if it uses a clock it's going to lose points in a big way! Do you think they'll publish that sort of information? (type of oscillation/pwm/feedback scheme) I would think if they intended to it would have been done already, as certainly none of that will be changing with their final testing.

At this point though for all we know they got their hands on a batch of Mueta IC's and... ??

Regards

hi.

classd4sure/chris, i do have something to say here but im afraid you just missed the point.

i do know these amps quite well as i was involved in developing them (if you bother to look at our website you should be able to see some similarities...)

"Also, would I be correct in saying you hold no interest in small quantity sales?" - no you would not be correct ;)

sorry if i repeat myself but a quick glance at the website would tell you and might give you a bit of info too......

about the amps in question , what do you want to know about them?

rgds - karsten madsen - www.cadaudio.dk

If you are really willing to share info instead of pimping your web site/products, please let us know the following:

1. specs on your own amps
2. specs on the cold amps
3. cold amp topology-i.e., pre or post filter feedback, etc.
4. do you sell switch mode supplies separately from your amps
5. do your icepower amps include the B&O switchmode supply?

Looking forward to your reply...

hi.

kuribo , somehow i get the feeling you didnt see our website ;)

you can find quite a bit of information about the class-d amplifiers we sell including specs and other tech info.

may i suggest that you read this first and ask questions after , in my mind it makes a bit more sense.

as for the coldamp i suggest we let him/them answer your questions first as this would seem more fair , ok?

"do you sell switch mode supplies separately from your amps?"

no not for the time being but with several other amps than ours.

"do your icepower amps include the B&O switchmode supply?"

no for the time being we dont sell the asp modules , but see above ;)

best rgds - karsten maden - www.cadaudio.dk

Thank you for your reply.

I did view your web site, or I wouldn't have known that you sell the ice modules and SMPS.

I saw very little in the way of specs on your site, only simple, one point distortion figures. How about info on par with what Mueta and UcD provide?

You claimed to be familiar with the coldamps, and asked what was of interest, thus I assumed you would answer. Guess we will continue to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.