best tweeter amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would be the best amp to use in a tri-amp setup, in your opinion? This would be for tweeters only. Approx. 10-20W power. I tend to prefer class A designs with little or no global NFB. I considered an Aleph, but their high frequency performance seems to be lacking compared to their midrange performance. What about a JLH? No chip amps, please.

To have no negative feedback in a SS amp, one would have to be pretty precise when matching transisors, resistors and other componants. 10-20W of power can be done without that many components. You could design it yourself, then you would have total credit for it in the DIY spirit:D . No one says you can't use the basic topologies of others' designs, then you can use quality parts that are availible cheaply in your area. You need to have a good knowlege of electronics to make one completly from scratch though.

I use and like and would recommend JLH simple class A type amps - one of the later versions...

http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/jlhupdate.htm

but it does have global feedback but does not seem to suffer from the "solid state / feedback" sound

If you implement it with care and choose good components it could sound great.

but perhaps you should check out this thread as well

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42259

there are some interesting design ideas discussed here. The design that AKSA mentions sound very interesting to me and could suit your reqirements.

mike

I also cast my vote for the JLH design (or Rod Elliots version). Having been a tube lover for 30 or so years, I now no longer recommend them. As good quality tubes and transformers get more and more scarce, the price has gone up way beyond reason for what you get. I finally swapped out my tubes for the later JLH flavor, finding that I had all of the sweetness and purity I liked with tubes, plus gained better bass and treble extension, all with the stability of solid state.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.