just ordered my CSS 4.5" XBL wideranges... who else?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They look very nice, but I also ordered a bunch of Extremis. Adire is supposed to be releasing a lot of woofers in the coming weeks, so I will wait to see what they offer. I need the back pair of speakers in a HT setup, I believe these should be pretty good for that. Computer speakers too - good idea. I was thinking about some Auras for that, maybe I will reconsider.

Well, Adire better slow down before I have to default on my mortgage ;)

I am looking at running these full range, but after running some tests filtering out everything above 13khz, I'm not sure I will be totally happy with the result. Anyone have any ideas for a tweeter to mate with these? I was thinking maybe something like the Seas 19TFF that's onsale at madisound (http://www.madisound.com/Sale Page pdfs/Seas H586.pdf) or the Audax Gold Dome micro-tweeter (of which I've seen several versions, but little info) that is available for about the same price at Madisound or Solen. I wonder why no one has reported on this Audax micro, when the polymer version seems to get lots of use. Maybe that should be a sign to me.

One appealingly simple alternative would be to build them into fullrange boxes, then install a top-mounted tweeter if necessary - problem is, I'm not sure if there are any good top mounted tweeters, I've only seen Morel and Hi-Vi models, and haven't seen much info about either.

morbo said:
I am looking at running these full range, but after running some tests filtering out everything above 13khz, I'm not sure I will be totally happy with the result.

I'd recomend trying them full range before you rule it out. As long as the intended application keeps them on-axis, I think you will be surprised at how well they do up high. You can always add a tweeter and crossover later if you aren't happy. ;)

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

Steven Kephart said:

I'd recomend trying them full range before you rule it out. As long as the intended application keeps them on-axis, I think you will be surprised at how well they do up high. You can always add a tweeter and crossover later if you aren't happy. ;)

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

So Steven, will Adire have this (or similar) driver available too? I ordered 7 Extremis 6", and now need two smaller speakers for the rear speakers of my surround, and two for my computer. The CSS 4.5 looks good, but I was hoping for something between CSS and the Extremis for the surround, and smaller (3") for the computer. [Yes, the Extremis would be good, but (1) I keep changing my order, and I am too embarrassed to change it yet again, and (2) the sale is over]. Reading some of Dan's comments on the DIYspeakers mailing list, I doubt I'll see a metal cone Extremis, but it would be pretty nice!

I've ordered 6 for my HT setup. Hopefully, they can beat out the likes of B&W and Celestion.

I'm also interested in a supertweeter down the road. But then again I've had an amp that started rolling off at 10 kHz and were down 3 dB at 20 kHz that still provided great imaging. But then its not really the imaging but the frequency response that I'm after with a supertweeter.

Good to hear folks.. I guess I will try them full range first, as I do like the 'crossoverless' point source sound (like my TB 871s), but 13khz seems quite low... Also, wouldn't beaming become an issue at higher frequencies? I wonder if you could just put a cap on a tweeter (maybe top-mounted?) and run the woofer full range?

Bam.
No they are a OEM version Adire has done for CSS.

As for the crossover anything is possible.
I have done a second order using Solen parts,Silver wire,BH5 in the show samples but all finished will have Ice materail over BH5.
Other than that same xover parts.
And can be ordered (MT)with a twin jumper set of connectors to run the speaker fullrange no tweeter or with the tweeter and network.

Al

:cool: There was a package waiting for me when I got home today :D Opened them up... damn these things are fairly heavy! Nice construction, looks a lot like the TB 871, but look a little closer and the quality control is obviously a fair bit better, as well as the frame.

I couldnt wait, so I grabbed a couple small cardboard boxes I had lying around (different sizes even), cut holes in them, and surface mounted the drivers, secured with masking tape. :bigeyes: I know, very high tech :rolleyes:

First test was to substitute the stiffer of the 2 cardboard boxes for my TB871 center channel. In about 5 minutes I was sold on this being my new center channel. In a nutshell, even in the cardboard box, it has same great locking of voices to the screen, with none of the harshness the tangband takes on at higher levels. I tried these at the maximum level I would normally play my HT, no sign of strain whatsoever. Also, I think the lack of sparkle actually helps with dialogue intellegibility, or maybe its the greater dynamics or better tonal balance, but there is no doubt dialogue was a bit easier to make out.

Speaking of sparkle, I hooked them up in a stereo pair nearfield at my computer desk and started listening. I'm still doing so now. Cardboard speakers about just under 3 feet from my head, forming an equilateral triangle. My biggest concern was with the high frequency rolloff. Well, I'm happy to say really isnt that noticeable. I know, I was one of the most skeptical of this claim, and I have fairly extended HF hearing (certianly to 17k or so). But frankly, I don't miss it that much at all. There is still plenty of treble energy and detail. Like I said, for the center channel, I'm going to forget about a tweeter, and if I were using these as bookshelves I might be willing to as well... at least for listening on axis. Really I only notice the lack of sparkle on every fifth recording or so, and it has been fairly benign in all those cases.

If I had to describe the preliminary sound, I'd say it is very dynamic
and very clean. Especially in contrast to the TB 871's I've used in the nearfield, these have a sense of dynamics and speed that the 871s just can't convey. Combined with the excellent imaging and large soundstage (I've heard sounds from well outside the speakers, and some as if from behind me) this makes some sounds and effects quite literally startling. They certainly want to play bass as well, but obviously in this enclosure they are misaligned and the panels are vibrating quite a bit, but its pretty impressive the amount of bass they are trying to put out. All in all, I'm pretty damn impressed! I'll try to post some pictures of the drivers and my 'shoeboxes' in the coming days.

CSS WR125S vs Jordan JX92S

I've had the new Creative Sound WR125S 4" fullrange speakers running for a few weeks now. I am very impressed with the sound. I have extensive experience with the Jordan JX92S and have a pair of each running in identical transmission line cabinets.

The CSS driver does indeed have superior performance. It has better, deeped bass, and more controlled high frequencies. Midrange performance is about the same, with the CSS unit having a more balanced neutral presentation. The Jordan has a midrange peak around 2-3k and this tends to add a little 'shimmer' to the music which some find very seductive and others find annoying. Personally I appreciate the neutrality of the CSS unit and prefer that sound. Nothing sounds bad on the CSS.

Running the CSS in a 7l cabinet tuned to 65Hz provides significantly extrended bass response, to the point of wondering where the subwoofer is hiding! I am quite surprized just how much bass the XBL2 technology provides.

About the only advantage of the Jordan is that it is more efficient than the CSS, but not by a lot. Some may prefer the characteristic sound of a metal cone driver.

In the near future, I will have some commercial products using this driver.

Kevin Whilden

Kevin - thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts. Its good to have my impressions verified by someone with more experience, as I'm a perpetual beginner at this stuff ;) To whatever extent you're comfortable talking about your upcoming products, can you tell me:

a) if you're planning on using a tweeter
b) if so which one and roughly how/where you'll cross to it, and
c) if you've used a tweeter with it, how did you find it effected the imaging and cohesiveness of the speaker?

Thanks again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.