Comments on my Aleph-X layout?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
thought that i'd show my pcb layout of AX. It is based on the schematics i found on KK's webpage. Please comment if you see something totally wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Kari

Attachments

• ax1.png
    ax1.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 3,190
Hi,
thanks for the input. No i don't have any special reason for 90 degree angels on the tracks. Does it matter?

BrianGT: As i am using Eagle for this i assume u mean "thermals" on the pads?

I also got the quote from my pcb fab. 4 pcs with redsolder mask is 100USD (I will order this). However if anyone is interested i can get 10pcs for 120USD and 20 pcs for 190USD.

I'll post a new picture of the pcb as soon as i'm done with the modifications.

Thx again,

Kari

90 degree angles

Hi all,

Dont use 90 degree angles. It is not good, the width of the trace changes and so does the impedance.

It's a fact, when you use a simple home-made etching machine(english ?) and there are 90 degree angles on your board,there will be a change of underetching in the curve. So the width changes. With a professional machine it's no problem.

Otherwise when you look at the Passdiy designs, you see no 45 degree angles. Maybe their design software didn't support that at that days or it's the hand of the designer(Mr.Colburn).

Once i asked a full time pcb-designer(hf-boards) about this item and he said it doesn't matter.

So confusion all around.

Maybe one of the pcb-guru's on the forum can make this clear ???

Best regards,
Johan.

Impedance variations from 90 deg turns really have no relevance in audio design, -- that is if one looks at a max bandwidth of 50 - 100 kHz...maybe Pass lab designs can be proof of this..... However,- the "Golden Ear" community make substantial claims of hearing sonic differences. I seriously doubt there will be any concensus in this matter in a VERY long time.

On the other side, I think there is a general concensus that 45s or round turns are more pleasing to the eye. Being at least partly a professional designer myself ( I just don't have enough spare time for any serious audio..), -- I try to avoid sharp angles , partly for visual reasons, partly for "just maybe I believe that" reasons..;)

EDIT: Zaqis comment on short traces is of course very relevant!

Curves and thermals

- the "Golden Ear" community make substantial claims of hearing sonic differences.

Yes, some people have "bionic" ears, just like the six million dollar man.

Thank you for the explanation i had the same thoughts.
By the way, Eagle has for short lines also a point to point option but for cosmetic reasons... 45 degrees looks better.

Another question ;

I was playing with the "thermals" option in Eagle and i expected four thin lines from the pad to the polygoon. Unfortunately the pad is complete isolated (or complete connected).
Is that right ?
or is there some secret setting for such a option?

Regards,
Johan.

I have Eagle freeware installed, just to open stuff posted on this board....I use OrCAD at work and can move my licenses to do stuff for myself during weekends......

Are you sure it is not a visual on-screen effect??
Also, there must be a setting somewhere to regulate the width of the thermal spokes.....any Eagle experts here ???

dobbeln: No i will not include a heatsink, takes too much space when it is not really needed.

Gunnar: My pcb fab charges me the same amount of money regardless if the pcb is single or double sided. And designing doublesided gives you much more freedom.

I'll check on those 90 degree "turns", however i feel that it doesn't matter if they are 90 or 45 degrees or not. I do agree that it will "look" better if the bends are 45 degree angle or bent.

Stay tuned as i progress on my pcb.

And a big thanks to everyone replaying :)

/Kari

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.