Tivoli Model1 PSU hum fix / upgrade?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have one of these little radios which I use in my kitchen. Listen to FM radio and Cd's via a really old Sony discman on the aux line in.

It actually sounds really very good. It does suffer from some residual hum from the internal PSU. I wonder if anyone has played around with these units. I tried a switch mode 12v external PSU but went back to the mains lead as it sounded very hard.

maybe 50Hz mains is really analogue dither :)

or maybe I should build an external discrete 12v supply.

well I dug out an old PSU from another project that I had forgotten about. 500mA frame transformer with schottky diodes and a 2200uF Elna RSH with a couple of smaller value decoupling caps (0.01 PP) gives out about 13v unregulated.

Tried it out and haven't gone back. Much sweeter sound either from FM (Radio 3) or via the linein. Perhaps the bass is a little lighter, though that could have been due to the old 50hz hum 'warming' up what bass was there previously.

I'm surpirised the Tivoli doesn't crop up in these forums more often. They are good radios and make a very good second system if used witha discman or such. I have one in my kitchen and probably listen to more music on it than I do on my main system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.