pinout of standard crystal oszillators ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Like this?

Arne K

Attachments

• cry-10.gif
    cry-10.gif
    50.6 KB · Views: 602
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Is the type you use a low jitter type ? Low jitter is far more important than 100 % exact frequency although it is very nice if it is 100 % accurate of course.

1 Euro is a low price but I would go for the best and spend 29 Euro for a real good one. Success guaranteed.

I'll save you stories about importance of power supply quality as the digital section nearly explodes of threads about that ;)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
On the Marantz CD-16, (33,xxxMHz), I could easily hear the change when tuning while playing.
And when comparing Tent XO with LC A.XO2, they sounded very similar when I tuned the LC A.XO2 off by the same amount to match the Tent XO (wich was a bit off).

=> Maybe the Tent XO would have sounded better if it was 100% correct ? (but it lost out in this test, and found a home elswhere...)

Arne K

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bernhard said:

Are those marked as low jitter ???

I could built an oscillator and adjust frequency also.

Yes, sometimes they are marked as such or you Google for the typenumber to find out. Please read some threads and Search for low jitter. It makes not much sense to use a canned oscillator if it is not a low jitter type. Most aren't.

Why invent the wheel again and spend time on something that is not going to bring best results ? Tent XO modules are OK and if you insist on building an oscillator yourself the Kwakclock is one to consider ( from what I've read and heard, haven't used it myself ).

Cobra2 said:
On the Marantz CD-16, (33,xxxMHz), I could easily hear the change when tuning while playing.
And when comparing Tent XO with LC A.XO2, they sounded very similar when I tuned the LC A.XO2 off by the same amount to match the Tent XO (which was a bit off).

=> Maybe the Tent XO would have sounded better if it was 100% correct ? (but it lost out in this test, and found a home elsewhere...)

Arne K

Of course you can hear the change while tuning during playback !!!

How much was the Tent XO off ?

It works

I can't say if the sound is better, too much time has passed since I have listened to that player.

If this clock is better then distortion should be better also, right ?

This can be tested :D

jean-paul said:
Yes, sometimes they are marked as such or you Google for the typenumber to find out. Please read some threads and Search for low jitter. It makes not much sense to use a canned oscillator if it is a not low jitter type. Most aren't.

Why invent the wheel again and spend time on something that is not going to bring best results ? Tent XO modules are OK and if you insist on building an oscillator yourself the Kwakclock is one to consider ( from what I've read and heard, haven't used it myself ).

This was a first try.
And I like to built my own clock, not install a module, this is DIY, also a Tent clock costs...

Would be a nice project to build a big double ofen oszillator if accuracy is important.

Something like a big and heavy external master reference clock.

Swapping Crystal

Bernhard said:
Yes, thanks, the left one is it bottom view ?

I like to open one and swap crystal for the Philips one.

Hi Bernard,
It totally evades me what you want to accomplish.
If your canned oscillator contains a 74HCU04 it is totally useless as this is NOT low jitter and not one Cent better than the standard oscillator in the CD player. I suspect it is a CMOS Pierce type oscillator indeed considering its price (1 Euro).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
This was a first try.
And I like to built my own clock, not install a module, this is DIY, also a Tent clock costs...

Would be a nice project to build a big double ofen oszillator if accuracy is important.

I can't possibly imagine what's against a module ( being not DIY ), better build discrete then instead of using opamps !?!? You're using a module yourself now that's probably even not very suitable for the job. Installing a quality module can be hard enough and result is somewhat guaranteed when done right ( which is hard enough also ). At least one big variable is of no concern then.

The 29 Euro a Tent XO costs is nothing compared to the time you'll put in a self made clock with all the debugging etc. It also looks neat which I thought you'd appreciate when I think of the thread with the CD880.

The "ofen oszillator" exists but is not very practical considering size ( I imagine Herr Flick saying this in Allo Allo now ;) ).

I think Elso points out that the canned oscillator you're using might contain a 74HCU04 CMOS Pierce type oscillator which makes it the same as the standard clock circuit, or slightly less worse.

My advice for reading/searching threads or *any* info you can get on *any* subject still holds. You once answered that you did not have the time to read threads or use the Search here but I can assure you that it can save time in these cases. If you start asking what power supply to use you'll prove my point.

If your canned oscillator contains a 74HCU04 it is totally useless as this is NOT low jitter and not one Cent better than the standard oscillator in the CD player. I suspect it is a CMOS Pierce type oscillator indeed considering its price (1 Euro).

Hi Elso,

where have you got HC04 from? The photo clearly shows two SOT23 devices together with four thick film resistors, one X7R blocking capacitor and another COG(NPO) coupling capacitor. It seems that the circuit uses grounded emitter output stage. Pretty much standard discrete design.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman

Cyclops/Riddles/ Schmitt Inverter

Bernhard said:
Hi Elso,

The new canned oszillator already got TTL output.

The 7414 was needed for the old one only.

If I have the 7414 between the TTL-oszillator and SAA7220, is it getting worse ?

Bernard,
In the land of of blind guys the cyclops (one eyed) is King!
Why on earth do you want a 74HC14 between the oscillator and the SAA7220?.
74HC14 is a hex Schmitt inverter and will make matters worse.
Tent- and KWAK-CLOCK have TTL output.
Frankly, you speak in riddles to me. No offence meant.:confused: :bawling:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.