More VA the merrier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
garbage said:
I was under the impression that a PSU with higher VA should help since the power supply caps used in a Gainclone is generally 1000uf or so.

Was thinking of getting the highest VA I can find with dual 18V secondaries for an future Gainclone project.

Really, there is no need to go to extremes in transformer VA ratings. I don't believe that it will make much of a difference. The only effect it would have is increasing the amount of current the amplifier can draw from the transformer's secondaries without overloading the transformer. Since a stereo gainclone draws very little current, this should be of little concern. I'm not sure if I understand what you meant about a transformer with a higher VA rating would help because of the low values of the filtering caps typically used. Increasing the current handling of a transformer will not make any difference here, unless the amp is current-starved to begin with, which will cause voltage sags. You can naturally use larger filtering caps if you so desire, but it would not be necessary.

As a general rule of thumb, I like to have a transformer that can supply about 25% more current than the amplifier should draw, just to have an extra safety margin, and to prevent it from getting hot. For a typically stereo gainclone, anything over 300VA would really be a waste money (unless you just happen to have one on hand or find a really good deal on one some place). I would certainly recommend a quality transformer, though, not just going after the cheapest you can find. However, I suggest spending more money on high-quality components, or maybe even a more elaborate CLC filtered and/or regulated power supply. In which case, you would need to slightly increase the voltage and the current capacity of the transformer to account for the innefficiencies involved.

garbage said:
I was under the impression that a PSU with higher VA should help since the power supply caps used in a Gainclone is generally 1000uf or so.

Was thinking of getting the highest VA I can find with dual 18V secondaries for an future Gainclone project.

1000 uf??? not at all true. some people who want no bass responce will use 1000uf. if you want a full range amp you should use something more like 5000uf on each rail. i think the more capacitance the less VA you need for the same power since between boom sounds the caps have time to recharge.

soundNERD said:

1000 uf??? not at all true. some people who want no bass responce will use 1000uf. if you want a full range amp you should use something more like 5000uf on each rail. i think the more capacitance the less VA you need for the same power since between boom sounds the caps have time to recharge.

I am using BrianGT GC-Kit which comes with 1000uf cap and the little amp provide all the bass I ever need. I like "No women no cry" too.
Regards,
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.