hum from tv coax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello, my system has for some reason become sensitive to a hum which is coming from the coax connector which feeds the cable signal to my tv (which is right next to the stereo). I have tried crimping on a new connector, but that didn't make any difference in the amount of hum that was coming through the system. As it turns out, the actual hum is transmitted into the stereo system by a composite video cable running from the tv to dvd player, but if you disconnect the coax connector from the tv and play the dvd, there is absolutely no hum.. How can this situation be fixed??? tia

Dave

I had OK results with this situation a few years ago. I used a pair of 300ohm twin lead to 75 ohm F connector baluns wired back to back.

The ground loop went away and the TV still looked OK.

I'm sure there is an isolation transformer made for the purpose, but for 3 bucks, this did the trick.

Attachments

• balun.jpg
    balun.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 265
hi guys, im having a sort of similar problem. im getting hum from my antenna, enough that it actually heats up the antenna cable. it runs from the antenna, to the VCR, through to my amplifier and to the VIVO port on my computer. when the ground connections from the vcr are removed(RCA shielding on both audio and video outputs) the noise goes away, however there is a disturbance in the picture... its unwatchable. is there any way to link it without getting the noise?

ta :)

Tensop said:
hi guys, im having a sort of similar problem. im getting hum from my antenna, ......a disturbance in the picture... its unwatchable. is there any way to link it without getting the noise?
Hi,

You must cut ground loop somewhere. The best position is at antenna connector because information is on high RF spectrum (100 to 1000MHz). Use HF transformer (post 2) or caps isolators (post 7) for this purpose. Braking ground loop at video level (or audio) is tricky; video signal has high complexity (from low frequency 50-100Hz syncro pulses (you lose them obviously and result is disturbance in picture) to ca 10MHz).

Regards

hi again,

I tried the modification( 10nf on the hot lead, 100nf on the ground) and it removed all the noise, however i've lost quite a bet of reception quality.

is it...... at all... possible to amplify the signal using an opamp with some gain? :) or isnt an opamps bandwidth large enough for the purpose?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.