Tannoy 10 inch Dual Concentrics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got some Tannoy T165's (chester). The cabinet is roughly 49 litres and ported but really naff.

Any ideas on some decent cabinet designs for a single point source driver like this?

I thought about just changing the origional dimensions from (hwd in mm) 524x350x268 and keeping the port but I thought you guys might have some better ideas

Any help, including info on the driver )as Tannoy only have a pdf in black'n'white of the advert) would also be welcome.

Thanx in advance

I just got my 10's home and fired them up!!!!

they sound GREAT!

I wish I did not spend so much on a pair of B&W CDM1nt's now. These things are 15 years old but sound so much more real!

Off the back of a Quad 99cdp, 99 pre and 99 power amp (85ish watts) they sing. Double bass from Ella sounds soooo real and the Darkness rock.

"The 10 is the one i've always drooled over ... " how come? Most dismiss it as the runt of the family when you have the 12's & 15's in anything up to 450 litre cabs.

Thanx for the link.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JRKO said:
"The 10 is the one i've always drooled over ... " how come? Most dismiss it as the runt of the family when you have the 12's & 15's in anything up to 450 litre cabs.

The bigger drivers may go lower in the bass (but not low enuff that you don't still need a sub if you want to go real low), but the 10 goes higher and blends better with the tweeter.

dave

Michael...

Tannoy drivers can be bought separately and they are quite expensive. Well spent money though. They are very efficient. I don't know if the K series is still available. But the HPD have been discontinued 20 years ago. You can find some in some sound companies. Watch the deals : it can be funny sometimes.
I just had a pair of 15" HPD385 for FREE! The guy was going to trash them because of broken crossovers and rotten suspensions. I will re-surround them as I have a good source for original surrounds for peanuts!
For crossover re-design...no problems! At all!
Sometimes life is good!
Luke

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Michael...

Luke123 said:
For crossover re-design...no problems!

3rd party XO design that is claimed to work really well.

dave

Attachments

• tannoyxo.gif
    tannoyxo.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,667
Re: Michael...

Luke,
I've a pair of HPD385 with rotten surround and are very interested to find out where you got yours.

Appreciate if I can get in touch with you. I can be reach at
vt4c211 at yahoo dot com. Thank you very much.

Luke123 said:
Tannoy drivers can be bought separately and they are quite expensive. Well spent money though. They are very efficient. I don't know if the K series is still available. But the HPD have been discontinued 20 years ago. You can find some in some sound companies. Watch the deals : it can be funny sometimes.
I just had a pair of 15" HPD385 for FREE! The guy was going to trash them because of broken crossovers and rotten suspensions. I will re-surround them as I have a good source for original surrounds for peanuts!
For crossover re-design...no problems! At all!
Sometimes life is good!
Luke

:)

I got my 10's from a second hand adio gear website here in england. For next day delivery and the speakers I paid £275.

I will attach some pictures but they are only going to be from my phone (sony ericson) as that is the only digital camera I have.

(btw how do you attach a picture:confused: I'm a diyAudio virgin!)

Planet10 I know you are a TL fan. What would you suggest for cabinets?

There is also this little knob on the back with 5 settings called 'presence'. I guess its something to do treble as cymbal splash increases as you turn it up, and (belive it or not!) decreases when you turn it down.

Is it posible to biwire these if I pillage the crossover? I have another 99 power amp on the way, and hope to build a pair of (VERY) simple valve amps to drive them.

keep the ideas comming.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.