Discussing Vintage Japanese Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003

Attachments

• onkyo2b.jpg
    onkyo2b.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 913
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
This is beginning to be a chat :)

The Sansuis don't have their original drivers in. The second driver was broken (voice coil/cone) so I installed Philips 6,5" instead and took the undamaged sp-10 driver away. You can see it in the "some drivers" pic.

Those Onkyos are 8", accordian surrounds. I'll take more pictures about it. Strange that there isn't any markings at the back of the cabinet..

Yes, philips is lattice work chassis. Those little 5" white cone drivers are Akai. I posted pics of them to the melhuish forum.. mmm maybe year and half ago :rolleyes:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've had 2 sets of the plastic sony's. Nice little Coral driver in them. I have a set of the Akais too, they got left in the sun thou and it damaged the surrounds (cracks)... i've had those Sansuis as well -- superb driver... and lots of the Philips -- the lattice basket doesn't look like much, but sounds excellent. the 6.5" Philips is really good too -- some of my customers with both prefer them -- my fave is the smaller 5"

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
BTW - how do you classify all those drivers? I mean, is there special distinguishing features you can see, for example, that those Sonys are Coral? Or are Sony drivers typically made by Coral and so on?

You're right about the Sansui. It's a shame that I've only got one driver.. must use it to a mono tube radio some day :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Otherwise said:
how do you classify all those drivers? I mean, is there special distinguishing features you can see, for example, that those Sonys are Coral? Or are Sony drivers typically made by Coral and so on?

Experience from sifting thru some 1000 2nd hand speakers and slowly accumulating clues -- baskets. markings, terminals, magnets, etc. Sony bought from all 3 of the major Japanese OEMs, Foster, Panasonic/Matsushita, Coral -- sometimes i know for sure, sometimes it is an educated guess. I went and looked at these particular Sony's -- they are probably Panasonic/Matsushita not Coral -- i pulled a set of Coral/Sonys out for a fellow this AM and had them in my mind.

The Sansuis are also probably Panasonic/Matsushita -- they were the OEM that pushed the furthest. Here the neat thing is the metallic whizzer with the little anti-resonance pads on the back -- you can just make them out in the pic.

dave

Attachments

• sansuif10.jpg
    sansuif10.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 876
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Good idea to move the thread, was beginning to go off-topic..

Yes I can see how much you handle all kinds of drivers - the t-linespeakers.org has been long one of my favourite sites where I regularly visit to check new items.

I'll post some pictures later about the Onkyo and also about one european driver I got. To me it seems like a simple isophon, but you could give a professional opinion about it ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Okay, here's more:

Onkyo 1
Onkyo 2
Onkyo 3

On the back of the magnet it says "Onkyo PD-2033D 10w 8ohm JAPAN 048". The pictures are bit fuzzy, but you might just see that the whizzer cone has a flat termination ring and the dust cap is a separate part, not one piece with the whizzer.

The other driver I mentioned:

Oval 1
Oval 2

On the magnet of this is "LP1318/19/95AFTG 2 La 324 3,5ohm/3 watt - made in western germany"

edit: scan of the magnet

Attachments

• ovalscan.jpg
    ovalscan.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 636
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Otherwise said:
"Onkyo PD-2033D 10w 8ohm JAPAN 048".

From the look (and backed up by the PD in the model, this one is Panasonic/Matsushita

On the magnet of this is "LP1318/19/95AFTG 2 La 324 3,5ohm/3 watt - made in western germany"

Not an isophon, and once i get beyond isophon i have a bit more trouble IDing the unlabeled German drivers. Perhaps a Grundig?

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
planet10 said:
Not an isophon, and once i get beyond isophon i have a bit more trouble IDing the unlabeled German drivers. Perhaps a Grundig?

Might be.. It was taken out from an old portable transistor radio. It seems that European drivers weren't made as cost-efficiently as Japanese. Painted chassis, sometimes possibly constructed from many pieces, felt around the surround, solid terminals etc.. while Japanese had more interest to the full-range cone geometry - am I thinking to a right direction?? :xeye: :whazzat:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Otherwise said:
Painted chassis, sometimes possibly constructed from many pieces, felt around the surround, solid terminals etc.. while Japanese had more interest to the full-range cone geometry - am I thinking to a right direction?? :xeye: :whazzat:

The Japanese definitely had a larger range... it seems with a lot of German drivers that "Isophon got it close, so lets copy them".

Personally my favorite vintage FR drivers have all come out of Japan (althou the Axiom 201s i had for a short well were quite stunning).

dave

Hi,

I hope i'm posting this in the right thread.
Here are my technics sb-x3 speakers.
I think they are from 1978.. and I don't like them! :)
Efficiency is 91dB and I drive them from an aleph60.
The mid-toner is modified with an unfinished wooden phase plug, wich improved the sound actually. (more open)

Remco Blankesteijn.

Attachments

• dscf0008.jpg
    dscf0008.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 544
More Zenith Fosters

I found some more Zenith speakers with Foster drivers recently. First a pair of Allegros with 8" woofers (2000's ? No label) and the same Foster horns that were in the 3000's I mentioned in an earlier post. I was surprised to find that one had an alnico woofer and the other a square magnet. The horns were slightly different too. One had the tape seal and the other didn't. These sound pretty good - I think I actually like them better than the 10" ones. The bass is a bit more defined. Then I found some little Zenith speakers at a flea market last weekend. Plastic wood grain cabinet with a silver metal grill. No logo on the front but I noticed a white cone which I know is sometimes Foster. Turns out I was right. The "woofer" is a 4" labelled Zenith 49-1316, 8 ohm, 5 watt and Foster 8113. Ever heard of this one?? The tweeter is about 2 1/4" labelled 49-1317-01, 16 ohm, A ONK, Korea, 1192. Haven't had much time to listen to these yet. One of them has a loose connection to the tweeter. Good deals though - $5 for each pair . . . Charlie

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: More Zenith Fosters

FlaCharlie said:
The "woofer" is a 4" labelled Zenith 49-1316, 8 ohm, 5 watt and Foster 8113.... A ONK

The 8" Zeniths tend to have better mids than the 10s. With a sqaure magnet it id likely of US origin -- any numbers on it?

The little 4" re quite interesting, any pictures?

On my recent road trip i found some Zenith labeled 32 ohm 5x7" Fosters which are quite interesting.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.