Chassis for a group order of non-inverted GC kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chassis for group order of non-inverted GC kit? Anyone interested?

Since Brian's proposition of a kit for a GC amp is an obvious success, I wonder if coming up with a simplified design for a chassis wouldn't be a worthwile addition?

I already talked with Brian and he suggested that the chassis should contain both PS and the volume control.

If enough interest is generated, I could arrange for complete chassis units, tailored to the preferrence of majority interested. Since the amount of kits ordered is pretty large, the chassis shouldn't be expensive and would be cheaper than anything currently offered on the net.

With an appropriate chassis solution and adddition of a switching VC (sourced from Taiwan), you could have a chance to own one of the better SS amps out there;)

Any interest or suggestions?

This would be a hard offer to turn down!

...would that be Mono volume controls? or a single stereo.

I like dual mono volume controls for some reason :)

would love to see what you had in mind Peter.

m. (giving the "Dark Side" a go... you only live once!) ;)

At present I don't have any particular design im mind, but i would go indeed with integrated amp, were PS is inside. I'm building amps with mono volume controls, but I have to tell you that there is no appeal to them at all. A stereo control is much more convenient, and those attenuators from Taiwan might be just the right choice. Here's one interesting chassis to think about, courtesy of Bricolo Designs;)

If you like two knobs, maybe addition of a source selector would be better?

Attachments

• ch.jpg
    ch.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 6,767
I'm interested. My main conserns are of course, price, and size. I'd like to see something as compact as possible, and as economical as practical, since the cost of the overall kits will be so reasonable. I like the design of the first one the best, but maybe not so complex with all the shielding and dual volumes.
I almost see a simple chassis frame of a 1\4" thick front and rear face,(I'd love a 1\2" thick front face) and sheet aluminum folded for the top and sides, and a piece for the bottom.

Yes, Bricolo put much thought into that design. I like it too, but I would tend to simplify it even more. Transformer would definitely be in front and center and two knobs altogether; either double volumes or volume and source selector. This could be actually optional and everybody could have a choice here. Rear panel would also accomodate that choice and could have more or less input RCAs.

EDIT: I see that while I was writing, that suggestion already came up.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I would love to see a chassis with a single volume control on it, preferably the stereo stepped attenuator that you sold me earlier. I really do not like the hassle of having 2 volume control knobs. I did this on my first amplifier for a couple of months, and I really got sick of it, and after swapping to a stereo black beauty, I kicked myself for not changing it sooner.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.