Determining Drivers for a Sealed Box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For my first project, I am looking to do a mid-cost HT system for a secondary TV room in house. To keep it as simple as possible I will start with 2-way front speakers in a sealed box.

My question is, how do I determine which speakers are best in a sealed box, vs. a ported box. Or will all speakers work well both ways? In the Loudspeaker cookbook, when talking about LF woofers, he mentions fs/qes should be around 50 for a sealed box, and 100 for a ported box. He also says it should have a larger x-max. When looking at 5 - 6.5 inch speakers, most are around 100.

Any help would be apreciated.

Well done in researching the LDCookbook. Nice to see someone doing their homework.

I'm no expert on closed boxes but you should look for a driver with a low Fs, EBP around 50 (up to 80?), Qts >0.3 and a long Xmax. Also look at the manufacturer's data sheets as this can often tell you if it's suitable.

The Peerless 6 1/2" CSX (850122) works in a closed box of 10-15 litres (EBP=67 to 83 depending on whose info you look at) and is recommended by Peerless for vented or closed.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

One of my objections to Dickason is that you already need to understand what is it all about to understand the book.

You can put almost any speaker in a closed box. If it is your first project then start with a simple 2 way. Then a 17 cm mid-low speaker is the best way to go IMHO. You don’t get that low but you get most times good results.

The formulas are simple. What you need is VAS, Qt and Fs of the speaker unit. Then with the volume of the box (in liters) you can calculate the Q of the box, Qb and the new resonance frequency of the speaker+box, Fb:

Qb = Qt*SQRT((Vas/Vol_Box)+1)

A Qb between 0.6 and 0.71 gives a reasonable good alignment.

Fb then becomes: Fb = Fs*Qb/Qt

It is obvious from the above formulas that with a low Qt you can do with a smaller box but that Fb rises a lot above Fs. With a higher Qt you need a bigger box but you can get lower in frequency. With most 17 cm speakers box size doesn’t become a problem. Try several speakers and see which one suits your needs most.

You can simulate a lot of speakers but to make an optimum selection I found it useful to put the above formulas in Excel for all the speakers of interest for comparison.

Cheers ;)

After some experimenst, I found a sealed box, placed against the front wall, and listening in near-field position works best for me. They sound just like a car-stereo, which I really like.

So I'm thinking of building a wide-baffle shallow-depth square sealed box using a pair of 5-6.5" drivers.

Before I figure out myself according to other's tips, are there any driver especially known as good for 15 (or so) litre sealed box?

Thanks

Doug

One of my objections to Dickason is that you already need to understand what is it all about to understand the book.

Yeah, I agree. I think the subtlety of the term "cookbook" is often missed. It's a cookbook, not a "how to cook" book. But still, its worth a look.

My question is, how do I determine which speakers are best in a sealed box
Here is a link to a sealed box designer.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=30

A box Qts of .707 is usually regarded as best. (hopefully LDC covers why)

Assuming you want your bass to as deep as possible (F3), you will probably come to the conclusion that a driver Qts of .4 gives you the best combination of reasonable box size and deepest bass.

JJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.