new Tangbanders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have since made bass boxes with 4" TB drivers with 300HZ Lowpass to augment bottom end.

Birch veneer on MDF.

Attachments

• speaker1.jpg
    speaker1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,825
Real Bass from TB W3871-S

Yes I get real bass. The volume was calculated using the standard formulas available on a variety of sites using the published T/S parameters. They sound awesome. People sit backand cannot believe the true full range experience. They are the best sounding speakers all of my listeners have ever heard. I do not know audiophiles however. The volume is 360 Cu in and the 1" DIA port is 1 3/8" long. The bass gets better every day as the drivers break in. The soundstage is what is really remarkable. The box disappears and the sound is a wide wall of reality. That is what impresses me the most. I have added 4" TB bass boxes with a 300 HZ Lowpass coil since this photo and the range is better but the soundstage has diminished in quality. The

nice speakers....

I did a 871-based centre speaker as well. 1 driver tho'. I used the T/S parameters posted by Creative Sound Solutions and this resulted in a box of volume 411 cu in. 1" DIA port of ...I forget the length but about 1" long. They tested these drivers independently and found the T/S parameters were not as posted by TangBand. I still think I like the smaller ones better.
Greg

871 is the dope

This brand of speakers is nothing special...normally. Al Wooley formerly of Nuera Acoustics re-designed another TB model... to give it a better appearance for non-covered applications. This redesign is the 871. A number of things got changed in it including the spider and a few more. Apparently it was a fluke that it turned out so well acoustically. It was a 'happy accident' as we say in the art world (I do art too). This TB is the best Full-ranger in the world at any price point below the Jordan drivers at $200 (or so)CDN many have said. It was featured in an Audio Express article and was given many accolades there too by Koontz, an authority in speaker design.

Peter Menting said:
Tim; Have you built all of these? They certainly are nice.
Pete
Thanks and yes, I built them all. The 4 driver and surrounds are in my HT and the ELF1.5's are in the Great Room along with a TL sub containing an Adire AV8. I'm tweaking a center channel. I chose the W3-871S because after comparing them to drivers costing over 8 times as much they were too good to pass up. My sincere thanks to my Canadian friends for introducing me to them.

The entire unit is 44" H x 6.5" D x 6" W. The bottom 7" is filled with sand. The interior is lined to provide a ~12 liter volume, rear ported. Drivers are wired in standard parallel/series mode with the bottom two drivers attenuated with a BDSC network comprised of a 1mH inductor and 4.5 ohm resistor.
Oh, BTW, it rains here ALL the time. Please don't move here. :D

BTW, I am writing from Springfield, Oregon. Another contender for wettest place in the world.

About those single driver TB's, if you had them crossed over at, say, 60 or 80 hz, could they play fairly loud? I am thinking of making a mini- home theater for my mini- living rom and have had my eye on those exact drivers for quite a while.

I'll probably be using veneer on these for the first time in my life, as well. So hopefully I can hit two-for-two and have good LOOKING speakers, as well.

Still a bit nervous about trying to make veneer look good on the corners, though...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.