Good DC-Precision OpAmp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an Adcom GFA-555II amplifier with a bOrked opamp in the input section. It is simply being used as a DC servo for the diff-input pair. The only ID on the chip says "Adcom 3A". Not too informative.

Examination shows that it is a standard pinout for a single channel 8-pin dip opamp. Neg is connected to ground, and positive is at 20V.

So, seems as if I could just pop in a reasonable replacement as long as it's DC characteristics are good.

Mostly, we all here discuss audio opamps. How about something for this application with good DC specs, pin-configured as a single-channel 8-pin dip? Any suggestions??

Thanks guys...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Red alert!!

It is not true that any old DC opamp will do! This opamp (if it is the servo) will have to handle audio freqs. The integrator function means that it will have to supply a charging current to the integrator cap from the signal it is fed.

At the output, especially at low freqs, you will find a replica from the signal, albeit low level. However, this low level signal is then injected directly in the amp. Any distortion in the servo output (AC) means amp distortion.

Please think this through, don't make it too easy on your self.
What happened to those people that claim to be able to hear a servo? For once, I can accept this claim.

Jan Didden

Edit: With almost all currently available opamps having very low offsets, paradoxically, DC precision probably is the least of your worries.

Jan, I generally use a trick of putting a passive RC pole at the output of the integrator, with its frequency set a decade or so above the integrator time constant (that will put the pole at typically 50-60 Hz). That way, the effect of the high frequency characteristics of the servo opamp are minimized.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, SY, that helps. You can also put this in front of the integrator to limit hf signal into the opamp. But these two methods can give problems with stability (low freq motorboating) and/or irregular freq response. After all, you're messing around with the feedback loop. I don't say it can't be done, but some care and experience is required. But my main point was that selecting the opamp solely based on DC performance is the wrong priority.

Jan Didden

peranders said:
Echowars, why do you want to change the opamp since it's use only for DC? Your listening to DC :no:
One opamp's output is stuck at 18.5V (i.e., it's broke;)). The rest of the circuit appears OK.

The output is tied directly to (via a 1.5M resistor) the base of the first diff-pair transistor. Inverting input tied to the amp output, Non-inverting to the base of the second diff-pair transistor.

With a single supply (+20V), seems the output of the opamp should be only able to swing to 10V. Output stuck at 18.5V seems to indicate that it is screwed.

So...what opamps will work correctly with a single supply in this application? Seems that I can get the LF411 pretty easily and cheaply...might it do?

Small update....found a couple of bad resistors, so I wanted to see if the thing worked. Popped in a couple of 741C's just to get it running, and the damn thing sorta works....

...sorta. The amp is functional, but DC offset is at 2V(!). I have a couple of AD820's on order, and I'm hoping that they will do a better job than the generic 741's. If not, then time to replace the diff-pairs.

Wanted to thank skilpad for recommending the AD822. I did finally get the single channel version in today, the AD820. Popped it in, and offset dropped to less than 1mV(!)

I am impressed. The original Adcom part was lucky to keep offset under 10mV. The AD820 appears to be the perfect part for the job as I can barely measure the resulting offset. Very nice. Much appreciated.

Thanks again....:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.