Felt like trying something different (warning: images)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My autoformer passive linestage (built around a pair of autoformers wound by Dave Slagle) was housed in a plain black plastic Radio Shack enclosure. I'd been planning to put that in a better enclosure for a while now. When building an amp recently I considered cigar and wine boxes, but ultimately went with aluminum due to fire/safety concerns. A cigar box seemed like a good choice for a passive linestage though, and that's where this started. My wife saw me looking at cigar boxes on eBay and pulled out this really old box that she had, and that settled it. I decided to keep the old look and as much of the paper as I could. A generous coat of tung oil helped to slightly even out the color of the parts where the paper had torn off recently.

Anyway, here is the result:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The remaining RCA connectors should be in later this week :) And I know it's a rat's nest of wires, but that's partly intentional (and partly laziness, I will admit that). I decided that laying out wires side by side or twisting them would not be a good idea.

So... that's what's sitting in my rack today.

Just thought I'd share :)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I really like the look and the cigar box idea.
I think it would look a lot better with traditional brass knobs of some sort. also some little feet (1/4" ) under it?

For the knobs, how about a brass cabinet door pull with the threaded hole drilled out for a 1/4" shaft? glue, pressfit or setscrew it to the shaft. Another option might be wood or vintage type plastic radio knobs

Thanks. Yes, I do plan to change the knobs and add feet. I thought about spray-painting them copper, but I doubt that'll work :) Cabinet door pulls is a good idea. I'm not too sure about glueing it to the shaft though, because that means I'll have a hard time changing anything in the future.

Thanks for the ideas.

Saurav

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.