Some simple little questions - Part 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

1. Assuming the drivers a spaced reasonably closely what enhancements/difficiencies does a TMWW configuration have over an MTWW config?

2. Other than aesthetics, does a rear firing port have any advantage over a front firer?

3. Is it critical that I take into account the rounding (say, 1/4") of a port in the port length equation?

4. The quality of the drivers being equal, does a 6-6.5" midrange driver have any advantages over a similarly spec'd 5-5.5" driver. Is the greater SPL of the larger driver critical in the midrange, say 200-3000hz?

Thanks in advance.

Mos

Hi You

1. Dunno.

2. Your kids won't insert things like golf balls, gerbils, or grenades into your rear-firing ports.

3. No. What you do, is plot your box in WinISD, then get a suitably flared port that is a couple of cm longer than you need, and just trim it until you get the response you want.

4. There are advantages both ways. Given that any driver manufacturer has a constant diameter / Fs ratio, your bass response is potentially better as you get larger. Of course, cone breakup happens sooner too, as the driver gets larger. I've never seen anything smaller than 6.5" go down to or below 45hz, and I consider 45hz a minimum for bass response, though I don't know what your tastes are.

My speakers I'm using now use 6.5" midbasses, and they're fantastic. I know some very serious monitors use 5" or even 4" woofers though. (But I don't think I'd trust them.)

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.