Suggestions for high current CCS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in need of a constant current source that can put out about 250 to 300mA and that can operate while dropping minimum volts across it -- on the order of 4 to 5V or less would be great. I am currently just using a LM317 with a RESISTOR which works, but I am sure something else will work better.

I'll use these in several places, but in particular I need to supply a 5V 250mA TUBE filament and I have 9.5VDC to work with. I'll also need it for a shunt regulator that feeds a circuit that needs 15V at ~150mA from a ~20V supply.

Any ideas?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Shunt.

Attachments

• shunt15.gif
    shunt15.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 540
dsavitsk said:
...I've used the 10m45's and the dn2540's, but I was looking for something a little better. Can you really get that much current from a cascode of these? I had assumed not, but maybe I'll try it.
You can get ones that will give you plenty of current at low Vds, suitable for using a pair in cascode (IXYS do some), but the trouble is they don't have enough power handling. I don't know of any larger ones, but there may be some out there. You don't need to use one for the cascode though, you could use an ordinary low-threshold enhancement MOSFET with a zener or diode string to provide a bias voltage for it.

This would end up more expensive than Salas's solution, but possibly with better performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.