ScanSpeak-style cone slicing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My brother and a friend used to get high and tinker and they concluded that if you glue toothpicks on a floppy cone in a spiral pattern (much like you see on headphone diaphragms) you can get a smoother sound. The only test equipment they had was their "augmented" ears, so.... the inverse of the idea appears to also work well... ;)

MisterTwister said:
Actually applying damping material without cone slicing has an insignificant effect on cone breakup. Aluminum cones would be hardly damped at all, even when thick layer of spray is used.

I have no experience regarding metal cones but my Vifa P21 got better with silicone strings, however it did not take away the break up of the cone completely.
I have no measurments to confirm it, so take it for what it is. Purely subjective opinion.

They may been better with slicing but not reversible. In the end I realized I was trying to use them too high in frequency with beaming and so on.. It was easy to take away the silicone anyway.

I will try slicing on cheaper woofers when funds permits an ob speaker project.

You have a real nice result with your experiments and backed up with measurments. Good work!

Regards,
Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.