first try at designing our own horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After experimenting with the frugel horn and then the big Bruce double horn with the FE126E and FE206E drivers respectively and being very imprssed with the results and then wondering why niether of these designs seem to model very well in hornresp my cabinet building friend Doug and I decided to try building a horn design of our own (his actually). After modeling the horn in hornresp he drew it up in Autocad and we started building it(okay I was mainly watching and holding stuff, but I like to think I was very influential in getting him to try it). The speakers came out in my opinion far better than either of the designs we tried previously. True the are extremely boosted from about 65-100hz or so but if you turn the bass down or EQ it flat it is still so much more dynamic in this region that the frugel horns in my livingroom don't sound all that exciting to me anymore by comparison. I'll post the pictures from my phone letme know what you all think http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=97087&id=618953972&saved#/album.php?aid=97087&id=618953972
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=97087&id=618953972&l=f7725a884b This link is to the whole album. You can open one and keep clicking next to go through all 13 pics. I'll definitly post the results when I get some measurements. As far as I'm concerned this design puts to rest all the nay sayers who don't think Hornresp works. These sound exactly like they modeled. lots of bass down to 65-70hz tons of headroom for amazing dynamics, breathtaking dynamics in fact!

Our next project is to add a front horn with response down to 300hz to see if we can bring the volume and dynamics of the midrange and treble up to level of the bass and then a tapped horn to fill in the bottom 2 octives. I designed the tapped horn from a 12" Jensen subwoofer That I got for free (when your straped for cash you gotta work with what you've got) I have also designed a tapped horn for the tang band 6.5" subwoofer that is smaller than the one for the Jensen (less than 1.5 cu ft) and goes down to 30hz @ 125db nice and flat up to 80hz. Can't wait to hear them. I will keep everyone posted I think I'll post those plans on another thread here pretty soon as they are my design.

Yeah I think that was the guy I was reading. There some people out there that are conviced that no one can possibly understand anything so we shouldn't even try. I on the other hand thank you very much for this incredible tool and have the utmost faith in it's ability to give me a good idea of what my designs will do before I begin to build them. I am curious thogh to know if hornresp is a good tool to use for prediction of t-line and pipe speakers. I haven't had as much luck using it to predict response of an open baffel but I realize that's not what it was designed for. Although I don't have the correct xmax measurement for the 15" Radio shack drivers I was trying to model. Trying to get information like that from the idiots at radio shack is about as helpful as asking someone at walmart about...well about anything. They are all idiots. that and I don't know how to measure xmax myself.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
brsanko said:
How do I do that?

Attach file: (bottom of the reply window) -- 1 file per post, do not use preview (a bug there)

dave

Attachments

• attach-file.png
    attach-file.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 798
David McBean said:

"Romy the Cat".......

Greets!

Why am I not surprised. He apparently lives in some mental alternate reality where only he understands our physical reality, so I just ignore him. A pity really, the few HE forum posts of his I've read indicated he has a pretty good understanding of audio design theory, but I'm not interested enough to wade through his expletive laced personal attack format responses in the hope of maybe learning something.

GM

I designed a very simple conical front horn to go on this speaker with a mouth area of 500cm and a length of 10cm the throat area is just the front of the driver. Doug built it last night and was very impressed. I haven't heard or seen it yet, but I've been wanting to try a compound horn for a long time now so I'm very anxious to hear it.
BTW if you all haven't figured this out already the driver is the fostex fe126e.

brsanko said:
I am curious though to know if hornresp is a good tool to use for prediction of t-line and pipe speakers. I haven't had as much luck using it to predict response of an open baffle but I realize that's not what it was designed for.

Hi brsanko,

Hornresp can model transmission line and pipe speakers provided that damping material is not included in the design. It can also predict the power response of a driver in an infinite baffle assuming that the diaphragm is a rigid plane piston.

Kind regards,

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.