Current Project "The Narrows"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is something I am working on in my spare time... which is only an hour or a little more before work on Sunday.

I ahve about 7 hours into these

Drawing... please excuse me... I draw like a retarded gang banger

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The color, BMW "M" Sepang Branze Metallic

BMW.jpg

the veneer inlays will be "still could change"

Burl_Maple.jpg

the back piece will only be 3inches wide

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I cut the center 1inch thick peice out to save weight and to have a channel that the speaker wire can run in... I also had to make a remove able back piece so that the WBT connectors can be easy secured... "yes the center was rough cutted out with a jig saw"

P1010309.jpg

P1010310.jpg

the top enclosure... the baffle will be spaced out and a bevel will be created to blend to the outside shape

I have been butchering wood for a long time... I get a game plan before cutting a single peice... the time consumption is making the intitial jig.. everything after that point is cake... It also helps to have jigs at your disposal

Aengus said:
trusound

I can't comment on your design, but if you got all that cutting and shaping done in 7 hours I'm impressed. It would probably take me about 7 days...

Regards.

Aengus

Impressive work! Will be a standout design when finished :)

You appear to have a side-firing woofer/subwoofer, how is this being implemented? With only 3 inches depth there arn't many large diameter drivers that could fit. It couldn't be open baffle orientated like that either?

thanks... that whole is just a visual element... i wanted to do something different... and always wanted to make a loudspeaker that you could look through the side...

and it's always hard to see direction when you are building something that is out of the norm in the early stages...

more to come

Dr.EM said:
Impressive work! Will be a standout design when finished :)

You appear to have a side-firing woofer/subwoofer, how is this being implemented? With only 3 inches depth there arn't many large diameter drivers that could fit. It couldn't be open baffle orientated like that either?

update.. I wish I had more time to work on these.. but all the cabinets are cut/routered.. all out of 1 inch MDF.. ever other layer an inch bigger, 1 side is chamfered the other side round over.. I will seal these with fiberglass resin and granite dust...

I know it looks llike frosty the snow man now.. but once I attach them to the back along with fiberglass work they will come along nicely..

IMAGE_009.jpg

IMAGE_008.jpg

IMAGE_007.jpg

New sketch please ? I'm not understanding the shape of the base driver enclosure.

Looking forward to completion of this project. I've done a lot of work with MDF, but never get around to finishing it nicely. A nice paint and veneer job might encourage me to do better in future.

thanks.. I changed the shape and scale a little... I always start with a drawing.. and when i start building stuff I sometimes change because I didn't like something etc..

I will post the next round of pics next week...

jimbo1968 said:
New sketch please ? I'm not understanding the shape of the base driver enclosure.

Looking forward to completion of this project. I've done a lot of work with MDF, but never get around to finishing it nicely. A nice paint and veneer job might encourage me to do better in future.

I'm realy stoked how these are turning out... I made the bases this morning before work... you can finally start to see the direction that I am heading towards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.