The last tt alignment tool you'll ever need?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, if you're into expensive third party alignment tools, probably not. But, if you're using any kind of downloaded template you should find this pretty useful. Much smaller file size than equivalent pdfs and bitmaps. Simple initial input- pivot to spindle distance, check the box for Baerwald, Löfgren or Stevenson, choose groove radii and print it to any attached Windows printer driver. It also prints rather nice strobe disks. IMO, it's 90% of the way there, but all suggestions for changes will certainly be considered. Freeware, no viruses, no ads, no strings attached, no guarantees. No, it probably won't work with your old original IBM PC and dot matrix printer.

Arc Template Generator

I suspected as much, but a good excuse for a bump regardless. I've looked at "The Guru" write up and template previously and wasn't comfortable with it. (I did make up the template and try it.) The more I look into this stuff, I can see some reasons that it might work, but they're based on error sensitivity being different in different directions, not optimization. I can't see using it as a target to aim for (no pun intended). I'm also conflicted about aligning the cartridge body vs the cantilever. My belief is that even with the best tools, peoples ability to align to the cantilever, especially a short one, isn't nearly as good as they think. The position of the cantilever, at least on my table, is quite different in a dynamic playing situation, than static, with the anti-skate disabled. Regardless, my template generator has lines for however one might like to do it, and can be printed on whatever substrate appeals. I haven't experimented with the Löfgren and Stevenson alignments, but suspect maybe Baerwald isn't the best choice, popular though it is.

Regards,
Conrad

No, the groove radii are the maximum and minimum where music is recorded. The outside is pretty standard, but the inside varies a lot. You can use the IEC or DIN standards provided, my own personal numbers based on measuring a bunch of records in my collection, or enter your own numbers. The narrower the area you optimize the alignment for, the better it will be. The question becomes, how important are the last minutes of a small percentage of records you might own. The program is based on things you can measure. The optimization philosophy of Baerwald, Löfgren and Stevenson take care of the null points and all the rest.

This system has just worked out very well for me. My cart now passes track 3 out of the 4 test tracks on the HFN test record.

My only tip: be careful cutting the hole for the spindle. Very easy to introduce a lot of slop there. The idea of the triangular hole from the guru version is good. Might be worth printing this out on card as well.

Love it, thanks for posting the link

Fran:)

Glad you liked it. It should be as easy to get an accurate hole using the four lines as opposed to two (keep 'em on the tight side), but I'll have look at it. The guru arrangement is more kinematic. It spring loads the paper against two cuts, but you still have to get them accurate. You can do that with mine by just cutting two of the lines, then make a diagonal cut to create a flap.

News Flash! I just uploaded version 1.04 that will accommodate longer tonearms without going off the paper. Nobody asked for it yet, but I figured sooner or later somebody with a 12" arm would come back complaining.

Regards,
Conrad

Yep, I agree. To be honest I just used ordinary paper from the printer to try it out. However, when I print it again, (next time!) I'll be printing it on heavier card. Its well worth it.

FWIW, this gives me the best result I've had yet with a Benz L2 on the HFNRR test record. The cart now passes all but the last torture track of the 4 tests on the end of side 1.

Interestingly the cart position in the headshell was significantly different than when I used the alignment protractor from the guru or the one that comes with the test record. This is obviously better!

It is extremely useful to have this tool. For those of us who have made our own TTs and arms and the SP distance is very slightly different than say a mainstream manufacturers this is the only tool I'm aware of that allows us to get an exact template for our own individual TT.

Thanks again,

Fran

Hi Fran,

Hey, I'm curious- which alignment did you go with, and which groove dimensions? I've always used Baerwald, but over the next couple days (if I can get other issues with my tt fixed) I want to try the other two. Löfgren makes the most sense to me- Stevens is a bit too radical, putting nearly all it's efforts into optimizing the inner grooves, but a lot of people (and manufacturers) swear by it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.