• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

TechTube TM Blackburn status

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All, I received email from TechTube today updating me on the status of the new release of their tubes.... here are the details:

Regards, KM

May I take this opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year and thank you for your interest in our new TechTubeTM valve technology.

As you may have read on the web site we launched the TechTubeTM brand back in September 2008 with a view to launching web sales of the product in October. Following very detailed, open and honest feedback from discerning end users at the launch the start of sales was postponed to allow our engineers time to rectify the few technical issues raised, namely valve to valve and within valve consistency, and microphony.

This rectification is taking longer than anticipated. As a consequence it is with regret that I have to inform you of the delay to the launch of the sales web site. The difficult decision has been taken to delay the opening of sales until the beginning of April 2009.

It should be remembered that our goal is to be selling a product that is better than the current manufactured product. Blackburn MicroTech Solutions, the Company behind the TechTubeTM brand, is what remains of the former Mullard Radio Valve works based in Blackburn so we have a strong heritage to uphold, so strong we named our first series after it!

We hope you understand our situation and ask for your patience.

With kind regards,

The TechTubeTM team.

PS> Below are some notes that I would like to reiterate:

The valve will cost £26.09 + VAT @ 15% + shipping if EU based
The valve will cost £26.09 + Duty + shipping if non-EU based
Shipping and Customs clearance will be via UPS courier
Ordering is by credit card off the web site

Larger volume requirements should be directed to andy.blades@blackburnmicrotech.com not ordered via the web site.

If anything is unclear please direct your questions to info@blackburnmicrotech.com

I received the same email and look forward to being able to try the ECC82s.

I find it a bit strange that anyone would set out to build "a product that is better than the current manufactured product" without considering the requirements for "valve to valve and within valve consistency, and microphony" at an earlier stage... Maybe I'm being unfair but I'd have thought that they'd have nailed these issues before providing samples for testing.

Hopefully the valves will be great when they are finally released :)

I have to agree, you would think they would at least have sampled enough NOS tubes to see how they measure up to the original specifications. I have numerous pairs of NOS 5814A tubes which have very closely matched sections and short of banging on them they are dead silent. If they can't exceed the original specifications for noise, adherence to plate curves and mechanical vibration then they have little chance of being successful. One other spec they need to seriously consider is cathode to filament voltage ratings and better isolation. I'm optimistic, but I plan on buying one pair of ECC82 clones for starters... if they don't exceed my stock of 5814A tubes, then my decision is obvious.

Regards, KM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.