budget aleph 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

About a half a year ago I discovered this forum and started reading about class A amplifiers from Nelson Pass. I got very interested and quickly decided to build one of his designs. I had never build any audio before. The main constraint for this project would be the price because as a student I can’t afford costly parts. So it took me quite a bit of time for sourcing all the parts at a reasonable price.

I first found 4 broken automatic car battery chargers, from wich I used the heatsinks and the transformers. In each charger were two 200VA (estimated) EI transformers with 14 V secondary’s. Four of those with secondary’s in series became the power supply of my aleph 5. The secondary’s of the other 4 I used as inductor in a CLC filter. The speaker connections also came from those chargers.

I also dismantled a broken electronic welder from wich I used the rectifier bridges and wiring. Also used wiring and NTC’s from broken computer supply’s. The boards I made myself at school.

The only costly things which I coulden’t recycle were the transistors and the power supply capacitors. I bought those online with reichelt electronic. The price was very reasonable irfp240 => 1.30 euro, irf9610 => 0.5 euro BC 47000uF =>13 euro. I heard rumours that the irfp240 from reichelt were afaik but they were genuine from ir and were very close in tollerance while matching.

So after some weekends diy I ended up with an aleph 5 at a very reasonable price of 150 euros total. The only thing I didn’t cut back on was the blue led J. I mounted the transistors on a copper bar 3cm*1cm which came from a electrical power substation and clamped the transistors with an aluminium profile. DC offset is 10 mV left and 25 mV right. It runs the standard 2 A bias and after an hour it reaches 52° C . It's quite heavy weighing 25 kg. It plays very good and detailed and I can only hear a bit of hum with my ear close to the speaker

I wish to thank Nelson for sharing his wonderfull designs and al the people on this forum who posted a lot of usefull information.

My next project would be building a pair of speakers to go with the aleph. So far I’ve been looking at proac 2.5 clones and peerless pipes and I think I will go for the pipes because the drivers are cheaper. Also a preamp (bosoz) is still on the todo list, now I’m driving the aleph passive with a pot. But that will be for the summer because I now have to start concentrating on exams.

Have a look at the pictures and feel free to comment or ask questions.

Andries

Thanks for all your comments. I submitted the pictures to passdiy gallery.

I like the sound very much. For now I have only my dad's Sony A/V amplifier to compare it to, the aleph plays a lot cleaner and warmer than the sony. Strings and voices sound more natural and the bass is more controlled.

About the humm in the speakers is not such a big deal. The transformers themself also slightly hum a bit. Maybe later I will exchange them for a toroidal and with proper inductance in psu. But for now its more than ok.

Andries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.