What to read on SS amp design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've began my dive into electronics just a couple years ago. For the beginning, i've read 3 first chapters of "Art of Electronics" and went into tube world, being interested in ESL loudspeakers.

Tubes are easy to understand, easy (more or less) to design, and there's loads of books on them - mostly old, some are new. But they are troublesome to be actually used, and aren't cheap. Especially in case of DD amp. So i've decided to look into transistors again. Hovewer, it seems that my brain is plagued with tubes. :(

Most of the transistor designs I've seen are really complex. They became somewhat less complex and more understandable if you split them into "building blocks", but still complex they are. Or at least that's what I see. Of all designs, I liked Nelson Pass's ones the most, for they are simple and, yes, somewhat tube-like :) Plus, their design (well, not of all of them), at least in my opinion, follows some of the design giudelines i've tried to follow, at least theoretically: class A operation, fully differential design, cascoding, current source loading, less components in the path. But just looking at someone's design is not enough.

I've read a great Douglas Self's book on designing a Blameless amplifier, but it's more devoted to practice than theory. Plus, the Blameless amplifier discussed in the book is a common transistor topology amplifier, not something I've searched for. I'm also reading on Leach amp, but again - there's no insight in how it has really been calculated. What I want to know is how to select and set operation point, how to select devices, what parameters to look at. And, one more - I'm more inclined to FETs than bipolars, and only N-channel ones - just because I'm tube-ish :)

I don't ask for a super comprehensive guide, but i'd like to read about at least a few hints.

Do not know really.

There are a couple of amplifier design websites, that come into my mind.
But there are not many that would describe how to design one audio amplifier and what is some good method to do so.

Here is from my Lineup Audio Lab memory, what can may be of interest, I hope ;)

1. Designing Audio Power Amplifiers

2. Power Amplifier Design Guidelines

3. DC coupled amplifiers for audio - Andiha Norway

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

SuzyJ at LittleFishBicycles
4. A HiFi Power Amp - LittleFishBicycles

If you're not going to simulate, your best teacher would be to build something. The Art of Electronics does have clues on practical choices. For instance, the design of a zener regulator with emitter follower buffer. The decisions regarding what to set the idle currents at wrt max/min load current does also apply in power amplifiers. I would have thought that The Art and DSelf's book would do it for you.

I've read a great Douglas Self's book on designing a Blameless amplifier, but it's more devoted to practice than theory.

The DSelf book tells you what the crucial design considerations are. The Art can help you to make the calculations that enable your circuit to meet those requirements.

That being said, there are some aspects of electronic design that are best learnt in a formal setting. Are there no electronics courses available where you live?

Else, why not just ask some direct questions here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.