Lube for transport - need advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Photos attached of a Philips CDM12.1 mechanism, now replaced with a new VAM1202.

Have seen a variety of suggestions on where to lube and what to use, some using terms I'm not sure of. (E.g., what exactly are the "rails" -- I only seem to detect one rail.)

Places I'm wondering about for lube are marked.

People say oil, but it seems at least on gears it would need to be rather heavy.... Perhaps a light grease not prone to turning into solid gunk?

Many thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• cdm12-1markeda.jpg
    cdm12-1markeda.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 274
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
There is only one sure way to do these and that is too fully dismantle. If you are at all unsure don't attempt. It's not difficult but it is fiddly in parts, however in my experience it is the ONLY way to get a lasting job.
You have to remove the large gear carefully -- wash it in iso etc and clean all gunge from the teeth with a piece of stiff card etc. Clean centre hole and metal spindle it fits on. I always remove the metal rail the pickup runs on and clean all old grease from the pickup and also remove the rack gear on the pickup and wash/clean.
Remove sled motor and clean the worm gear carefully.
As to what grease, it has to be compatible with plastic. I always used a special metal/plastics grease made by Electrolube. Vaseline sounds a bit heavy to me. Apply very little to the gears and a give a thin smear on the metal rail. Also the "slider" opposite.
The old grease dosn't just go hard, it seems to crystalise into little hard grains that can cause the gears to jam and the player to skip.
If you try it, be careful and don't smear the lens with grease, it's easily done. The rail is held by little plastic wedges that slide in on top of the rail at the ends. You are best with an old pickup to practise on really.
Good luck and don't break it :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.