La Scalla Clones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

Yesterday evening I was accosted by a co worker who is CONVINCED that he wants to clone a pair of La Scallas. It will probably be a fun project and I already have a couple of drawings to get me started on the cabinets however the thing I need is a source for the mid and high horns, and the drivers. As this is intended to be a clone it doesn’t need to have parts from Hope, AR any recommendations you have will be helpful.

Scott

How can you clone La Scalas without the proper horns, drivers? If all you want to do is clone the cab, then you still need a woofer close to the original's in specs for it to perform ~the same.

Regardless, browse the Klipsch and HE audio asylum forums as I imagine this subject has been heavily discussed over the years.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=hug

GM

Bob Crites can sell you some Eminence woofs custom made to perform like the original k33. I think Klipsch can still sell you some late model k33 woofers too.

I'm using the Bob Crites woofers in a LaScala type bin and am very satisfied. Bob offers very good service.

You will find the HF horns pop up on ebay from time to time - or check the forums GM linked, those guys are always changing/selling/buying things. I honestly think you can do better than the original HF drivers, but then it isn't a clone, is it!

I opted for an altec 511/902 combo for the top.... still tweaking.

Good luck!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
mpmarino said:
Bob Crites can sell you some Eminence woofs custom made to perform like the original k33. I think Klipsch can still sell you some late model k33 woofers too.

I'm using the Bob Crites woofers in a LaScala type bin and am very satisfied. Bob offers very good service.

You will find the HF horns pop up on ebay from time to time - or check the forums GM linked, those guys are always changing/selling/buying things. I honestly think you can do better than the original HF drivers, but then it isn't a clone, is it!

Good luck!

MP , hatty boy .......

are these augmented , or stock like , bass cabs ?

besides that - can you treat me with few pics of that junk , there in OT thread ?

TIA ,as always .........

mpmarino said:

Good luck!

Perhaps when I posted this I should have followed the word clone with a question mark or two?? After a little discussion what is really desired is something of similar size and sensitivity with perhaps better drivers if available without having to build, test, tear down, and start over a dozen times. Neither of us has the time, space, money, or understanding spouse necessary to endure that ordeal! Perhaps this is a good time to solicit any suggestions or ideas that this thread may have inspired in the hopes that it will blossom into a late summer project.

Scott

GVSparkchaser said:

............ better drivers if available without having to build, test, tear down, and start over a dozen times. ..............
Scott

As soon as you veer away from the original, you are going to be in for a long job. The bass bin isn't too hard to get right, as long as you assemble carefully and use a suitable woofer. You have to keep in mind that the bass bin 'falls apart' above ~350Hz and your midrange horn choice would have to be able to grunt down that far. Fun and rewarding - but I'd expect to fight with it for a while to get it to sound right. If you need to get it right the first time, you'd better clone it.

You have a couple of choices, if not more. First I would encourage you to pose these questions over at the Klipsch forum. There are some sharp folks there who love this stuff. The woofer and the the tweeter can be obtained from Bob Crites who is a good guy to deal with. He also has versions of the k-33 (woofer) and the tweeter (k77) that are better than the original.

As far as the bass bin goes, it is fairly easy to build. The sharp angle at the nose will be the most difficult. However, you should at least search the threads over there for a mod to the bass bin that will increase its size and performance (search the threads by "DJK" who gave some sensible advice).

The mid-range is problematic and an area that can be improved upon. Many will simply install an Altec 511 horn (about $150 a pair on eBay) and this is not a bad idea since it will provide some improvement over the stock horn. A more ambitious mod would be to use a tractrix horn and there are a number of ways to do this. Keep in mind that the mid needs to be crossed at 400-500 Hz or so and many drivers don't like being driven down that low. So the choice of diaphragm material is important as well as the steepness of the crossover.

Good luck with your project but please spend a couple of evenings searching the threads over at the Klipsch forum. Then you can better ask some specific questions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.