to be follower or not

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:devilr:

Attachments

• follower.gif
    follower.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,029
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
That looks unusual! How many watts do you expect to get out of that, 30-40?

Make that: It looks very unusual and interesting;) Easy to build too.

Steen:cool:

naah.

green button missing; brain is in red :apathic:

another one- familiar to you?

edit - I know that pic from post 1 need few additional lines,too....... but not tonight........

Attachments

• andreisani-oly.jpg
    andreisani-oly.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 804
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

................. and a lot different input, which I dont quite get! You have added a DC blocking cap at the output too!

follower is in the name of the thread ;)
just compare this and Pat's shematic ;

where is outer side of spk connected..........

in other words where are grounds and what electrode ( hehehehe) of active device is "grounded"

Let me have a go and see whether I will make a fool of myself.

The first schematics is a balanced version, one half of which you then drew in the second schematics. Since it is balanced, the speaker is not referred to ground (or positive rail). But I do not see any advantage in using a single rail and input caps.

(Matter of taste I guess. I don't like caps in the signal path).

For me, if I want to do a balanced follower, I'd rather use 2 cascoded JFET in a circlotron follower (see Grey's Newtron thread or many other circuits from Tubecad). Direct coupled, bandwidth from DC to way over 300 kHz, 4 transistors (same number as the DAO follower but half the output impedance and twice the current driving capability). You can even easily modified the DAO PCB for that. DC drift problem, if any, is the same as the DAO.

(Yes I have mockup tested but since I don't have headphones, I am not building it as a follower but want to use it for something else, eventually.)

And Steen, if you want more bias from the DAO, you just change the source resistor to 0R68, like in ZV9. Parallel that a few times, and you get a power amp to compete against the F4. If your speaker is not low impedance, I think the input capacitance would not be too much of a problem, since it is a source follower, and on top of that you have further reduction of effective Cgd due to cascoding.

Patrick

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
EUVL said:
Let me have a go and see whether I will make a fool of myself.

Patrick

not you,my friend.......I'm the one who is indebted for that....... :clown:

anyway- that was mind game...... I'm just too tired for more thinking in this moment....
steen - try to rearrange your hdphone amp to input and output like this (second ) schematic ,and say what you hear.......

Sure, the input xfrmr is not necesary and as long as you have somthing like a BOSOZ or a P1.7 etc. to drive it your fine... There are considerations not yet discussed here also. I have built a couple proto's of MOSFET Circlotron. They do work good! Low Df and all, if you have the supplies behind it. However, what about bias stability and offset control??? If you keep reading Broske, he addresses the simple servo offset control somewhere...

An LU1014D you say... What about the Newtron??? Another of the Grey creations. It did not generate the enthusiasm I would have expected??? Sorry Grey, if the spelluing is messed up :D :D :D

I found you can spend a few day's at the USPTO tracking down refrences to Circlotron ideas though...

Me? Your gonna ask? Well, I'll help maybe but I have enough projects to finish if I'm actually messing around on the bench
:D One of them is a MOSFET Circlotron!

Also, I did want to mention the words Inpol and Pathos ???

> An LU1014D you say... What about the Newtron???

The two basic circuits I published in the Newtron thread I have built (one MOSFET and one LU1014). They both sound great. Bandwidth DC to 600kHz. Thanks to Grey for the inspirations.

I am now working on a circlotron with no feedback. Output impedance 33mohm. 100W Class A, but 1000W Class AB into 2 ohms.

:)

Patrick

Why would you want something else other than the LU1014 ?

It has enough transconductance, can be operated in triode mode, apparently still available in large quantities at affordable prices (matched), .....

I have been asked about the IXYS and the Semisouth devices. I have not tried any of those, and have no intension to, as I still have other (not popular) devices waiting to be implemented in circuits. Nelson is the one with first hand experience with those two. I have no additional opinion to contribute.

;)

Patrick

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Patrick has a good point - the LU1014 is cheap and can
act like a triode when cascoded.

The Ixys depletion mode part I have played with works
pretty much like a regular Mosfet except for the
convenience of self-bias at about 1.3Amps. It looks to
have good potential for operation with a transformer ala
Hiraga's "Nemesis". I have some transformers on order
to check that out.

I have samples of other parts and some on order, not
available through distribution, which bias at higher
figures, allowing degeneration and direct input coupling.

We'll see how they turn out.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.