Cl-60

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You mean for limiting inrush current:

Nope

The CL-60 is a thermally sensitive semiconductor resistors which show a decrease in resistance as temperature increases.

A so called soft-start module doesn't use a thermistor but often relies on a resistor network an relais

Ralph

Originally, in Aleph AX, Nelson was using 4 paralleled CL-60 thermistors between capacitors banks (instead of chockes) for PS filtering. I also use those thermistors for filtering and they work pretty well providing additional inrush protection as well. The alternative would be using 0.3-0.5 power resistors instead of chokes or thermistors.

CL-60 in an AB amp

So...
What about using a CL-60 on the AC side in a Class AB amp?

I have big caps, 61mF - okay, not that big, but big enough I need some inrush protection and I don't want to be bothered with the whole relay delay thing. I'm making a quick 'n' dirty amp.
I figure the caps are big enough to handle the peak draw from the amp, and the only downside could be the additional resistance of the CL-60 when the amp is at idle or low power. Which shouldn't be a problem because the caps are big.
The amp's an ESP P3A, 48VCT transformer, about 34V rails, maybe 80W/ch into 4 ohms.

Thanks for your thoughts...:geezer:

Re: CL-60 in an AB amp

paulb said:
So...
What about using a CL-60 on the AC side in a Class AB amp?

I have big caps, 61mF - okay, not that big, but big enough I need some inrush protection and I don't want to be bothered with the whole relay delay thing. I'm making a quick 'n' dirty amp.
I figure the caps are big enough to handle the peak draw from the amp, and the only downside could be the additional resistance of the CL-60 when the amp is at idle or low power. Which shouldn't be a problem because the caps are big.
The amp's an ESP P3A, 48VCT transformer, about 34V rails, maybe 80W/ch into 4 ohms.

Thanks for your thoughts...:geezer:

It all depends on how much current the amp draws when idle. With little current you may find that voltage drop on thermistor is too big. For comparison, with Alephs it's less than 0.5V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.