Tad Tl-1102

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TAD had a huge experience in making drivers.
All you have mentioned...."Alnico, paper cone, fast, flat response, 6.5mm Xmax" will beat any Scanspeak.
BTW...you will need a woofer not subwoofer.Combination between paper cone and alnico is one of the finest.Also ...don't go for 3 ways....2 will be more than enogh.Fine drivers and simplicity is the best way to have an impressive sound.
And remember...alnico sound is superb.
Go for TAD and tell us the results.;)

A division of Pioneer, Technical Audio Devices was formed over 30 years ago with the stated goal of developing professional loudspeaker technology that bettered the famed work of both Altec and JBL. To ensure this, TAD hired Bart Locanthi of Altec and JBL to design its first drivers.

Tad are good speakers . The HF Berrylium drivers are overpriced
if you compare them to an Altec .The Altec 288-G, often considered the "poor man's TAD" actually has a stronger field than the TAD.

So evry thin is relative.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
David Gatti said:
I'm seriously considering using the TAD TL-1102 11" woofer in place of my Scanspeak 26w8861 in my new 3-way design. Its got all the things I like - Alnico, paper cone, fast, flat response, 6.5mm Xmax
Does anyone have any experience with this driver (there's seems to be very little info online) or an opinion on whether it would be superior to the Scanspeak?

Hi David,

I expect you'll find them to be poor value for money but that goes with the territory when dealing with these ultra highend drivers.

I think once you get around the price though you'll find a superb performer. I've heard TAD's 15"(well they call it a 16") and the sound was very dynamic and free sounding. Not massively extended but certainly could do justice to any music you play through them.

Personally I'd go for it. They'll be a step up from Scanspeaks for sure.

For this price you could go for the 1601 a15" driver.They are
700$ retail when I last checked them. From there you can build some pro monitors.

TL-1601c low frequency loudspeaker
TD-4003 high frequency compression driver
TH-4003 high frequency horn (Can be replaced by Fostex Horn)

The HF drivers are in the thousand $ bracket.

With a 11" driver of that quality you will need a compression driver. A tweeter will sound like tssss.

David Gatti said:
I've just been advised by Soundworks Germany that the TAD TL-1102 is no longer in production :bawling: Looks like I'll be sticking to the Scanspeak.

There is plenty of TAD-like drivers out there ... Ciare, Aurasound, 18sound, Emininece, JBL, ... maybe not quite TAD (some may in fact argue otherwise!) but definitely step in the right direction (if that type of sound is your goal).
I'd be really interested in your next design ... I'm intrigued by all this 'pro driver' talk. They were never exactly my cup of tea, athough on some material (large choral works) Hiraga's designs are still remembered fondly.
Do you plan open baffle ?

David Gatti said:
Yes there are lots of comparable drivers I guess, although I was particularly interested in hearing how the Alnico sounds.
Not planning on open baffle at the moment - just dont have the space in my flat for it, although I'm considering leaving the back open on the midrange with just a bit of stuffing behind it.

Most of those companies make Alnico/neodymium drivers too !

I'm totally sold on an open baffle concept. Dipole bass has no peers as far as I'm concerned. And a midrange free of box colorations is a revelation too. Dipoles interact (or don't interact) with the room in a way no box speaker can, no matter how good.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bratislav said:
although on some material (large choral works) Hiraga's designs are still remembered fondly.

Interesting. Have you had a chance to hear Jean Hiraga's actual work, for example the big 4 way systems? The "large choral work" is why I ask.

Mr. Hiraga picks and chooses his drivers and applications carefully. Often mixing and matching cones and baskets, putting the "right thing" in the "right place." He seems to have a knack for it. Lots of stuff from the stables of Altec, JBL, TAD, EV, etc.

I've used pro drivers for decades, mostly in pro applications, but also at home. Have never been able to twist the magic out of them that Mr. Hiraga can. Good, but not amazingly mind boggling, like his stuff.

panomaniac said:

Interesting. Have you had a chance to hear Jean Hiraga's actual work, for example the big 4 way systems? The "large choral work" is why I ask.

Mr. Hiraga picks and chooses his drivers and applications carefully. Often mixing and matching cones and baskets, putting the "right thing" in the "right place." He seems to have a knack for it. Lots of stuff from the stables of Altec, JBL, TAD, EV, etc.

I've used pro drivers for decades, mostly in pro applications, but also at home. Have never been able to twist the magic out of them that Mr. Hiraga can. Good, but not amazingly mind boggling, like his stuff.

Yes, I've heard his big boxes at La Maison de l'Audiophile in Paris. Driven by 300B's and connected to a largest turntable I've ever seen, spreading over two huge tables. I spent a whole afternoon there, even if they knew I wasn't going to buy anything :cool:
The big choral work was something that really stood out head and shoulders above anything else I've heard before. But for the rest (large orchestral and jazz) wall-sized Tolteques I've heard elsewhere really blew me away.
BTW, nothing rocked like Cabasse system at La Geode ! Talk about live concert like experiences ... The sub they have there must be 2 metres across !

Bratislav said:

Most of those companies make Alnico/neodymium drivers too !

I'm totally sold on an open baffle concept. Dipole bass has no peers as far as I'm concerned. And a midrange free of box colorations is a revelation too. Dipoles interact (or don't interact) with the room in a way no box speaker can, no matter how good.
Well I've decided to stick with the Scanspeak for now and consider alternatives down the track.
As for open baffles, I dont have the luxury of being able to place them 1 metre from the front wall. And are they really suitable for rock?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.