unknown capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently acquired a boat load of capacitors from this researcher who was cleaning out his lab.
He organized them by capacitance in a box, but I'm still uneasy. What is the standard capacitance rating on caps?

The reason I ask is there are really old caps in there and brand spanking new caps in there, some even have no ratings on them, just a serial number.

My question is, if it has the following.. .47 100V +-10%
.47 what? uF or milliFarads?

Sometimes there will be 330 MFD is the capital M, used for micro or millifarads?

I'm building a Car DC-DC converter for a carputer and the caps are the last thing I'm putting on... I really don't relish the explosion from misplaced caps on by awesome circuitboard.

Eternalightwithin

P.S. I got lots and lots of orange and green caps. ^^ :devilr:

here they are... the majority of them anyways

Cap pic 1

Attachments

• 4 026.jpg
    4 026.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 142
Hey,

That bright-orange colored one is a Sprague OrangeDrop, as used in Dynaco ST-70.

The silver colored cylinderal one labeled 'TAS+' is a military quality Mallory Tantalum capacitor.

The tantalum cap is really rugged, so it's the best one for DC-DC converter. ;)

Cheers:cool:
JayJay

The other trick with plastic film capacitors that you are unsure of is to heat them. In another, earlier, thread someone suggested an ingenious idea. Wire up your meter to the cap' and then heat it (the cap) with a hairdryer. Most of the dialectics have a variation in capacitance with temp' and if you consult a site on capacitors and look for the temprature characteristics you will find the ones that increase or decrease (or remain static) with change in temp'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.